Best of NU: Best Student Group

Photo courtesy/Luis Escobar

“We do a lot of collaboration with other cultural student groups,” said Luis Escobar, the president of LASO. “As much as we want to teach people about [LASO] we also want to learn about other groups on campus.”

The Latin American Student Organization, founded in 1988 with only 15 members, today has more than 60 students.
LASO has coordinated a number of successful events, including Service Staff Appreciation Day in honor of Northeastern’s service workers. The group also brought many diversity-based events to campus.

One such event this school year was the Hispanic Heritage month in October, which included a guest speaker, award-winning author of “America Libre” Raul Ramos, who gave a lecture advocating immigration rights. Escobar said people of all cultures in America, not just Hispanics and Latinos, have an immigration history so this topic was relatable and open to the Northeastern community.

Another event LASO presented this year was a collaboration with the Kappa Sigma fraternity; the two groups brought Latin American comedian Pablo Francisco to Blackman Auditorium in March.
The group also presented a LASO culture show, which showcased several performances by artists of all genres, featuring Latin music and dance.

“It was a great afternoon for everyone to see a more colorful and artistic side of our culture,” Escobar said.

– Anna Marden, News Staff