Best of NU: Movie Theatre

Whether it’s the stadium seating, convenient location, or something about the buttered popcorn, AMC Loews Boston Common raked in more than twice as many votes than any other theatre, sweeping over the rest with a decisive 46 percent plurality.

“I like the old-school feel and the mixture of the arcade and theatre and the old movie posters,” music industry major Aislinn Kane said.

Just walking around the two floors of the theatre is a show – giant movie posters are plastered all over the walls, from classics like “Casablanca” and “The Wizard of Oz,” and iconic movie quotes that cover the ceiling.

“It’s my favorite theatre in Boston,” Kane said. “It’s very comfortable. I like the fact that it’s so accessible by the T and it’s right downtown.”

With 19 screens, one of which is an IMAX, AMC Boston Common runs anywhere from 85 to more than 100 shows daily, said Justin Scott, AMC’s spokesperson and director of public relations.

“They always have lots of showings,” freshman English major Kathleen Collins said. “If I had to choose between the Fenway and the Common theatres, I would pick the Common because it’s a nicer walk and the school’s always giving out movie tickets.”

Scott also said the theatre’s student pricing on Thursday where flashing a school ID can save students $3 per ticket, is “a big hit.” Tickets are $8.50 all day on Thursdays with valid student ID.

– Anne Steele, News Staff