Best of NU: Celebrity visit

“Good evening, Huskies!” shouted Joel McHale as he trotted onto the stage at Matthews Arena on Friday of Springfest 2011. The crowd erupted in cheers and whistles, which abruptly turned to boos as McHale teased, “Are there any Terriers in here?”

Apparently, the Huskies did enjoy his comic musings and proceeded to vote McHale the best celebrity to visit campus this year. In fact, he won by a decently large margin, almost earning 25 percent of the total votes.

McHale followed his “Community” castmate, Donald Glover, who performed during Springfest five nights prior. He opened his show with a story of misfortune; as he stood in the hotel bathroom hours before the show, he accidentally cracked himself in the face with the glass shower door and needed stitches.

“Thank you, Massive General Hospital,” quipped McHale, who added that the care at Massachusetts General Hospital was excellent.

He then moved into familiar “The Soup” territory by mocking the Kardashian family. “Don’t cheer for it,” he told the audience.

Many of the jokes during the second half of his act were targeted at the sad state of television and popular entertainment, ragging on “Jersey Shore,” MTV, his home network, E!, and pop star Britney Spears.

“Britney’s doing better,” he said. “She has promised to go back on birth control and stop producing white trash.”

“This was definitely more open and free than when Andy Samberg came to campus last semester,” Medeiros said. “I’m really happy McHale came here for Springfest. It was the best show I’ve seen on campus this year.”

The second place winner for best celebrity visit was Andy Samberg.

– Anthony Savvides, News Correspondent