NUDANCO teaches new dance styles each week

News Photo/Susan Ng

By Jackie Rapetti, News Correspondent

Because spending the summer tanning and downing six packs can occasionally get old, the Northeastern University Dance Company (NUDANCO) is offering free classes for all students, beginners and veterans alike.
Every Monday and Thursday from 7 to 8:30 p.m., multi-genre classes are held in Studio B of the Curry Student Center.
Shannon Brown, a senior civil engineering major and president of NUDANCO, who started dancing when she was four-years-old, said classes are not only meant for dancers in the company, but also for any student who wants to get a feel for what the organization does during the school year.
“The style of dances change with every class,” Brown said. “We do contemporary, lyrical, ballet, hip-hop and tap.”
Members of the company and alumni teach the classes, which typically have 10 students.
“We do welcome students who have never danced and we definitely have people who have just watched,” Brown said. “We just let people try whatever they want to do.”
Grace Arsenault, a middler communication studies major, said she has been dancing since she was three-years-old and taught her first NUDANCO summer class last Thursday. She choreographed a contemporary dance to the song “Jar of Hearts” by Christina Perri for the class to learn.
“It’s so much fun and I appreciate the people who go out there and dance,” Arsenault said. “Even if you’re a terrible dancer, if you’re still having fun everyone around you will be having a good time, too.”
Summer dance classes can also be a great stress reliever, said Connie Lu, a junior pharmacy major. She attended the classes last summer and has already attended a few this year.
“It’s cool for people like me who have never danced in their life and it’s cool to kind of try to copy what the dancers do and just let loose,” Lu said.
Naomi Bauer, a middler physical therapy major, said she dances for the company during the school year, and enjoys attending the summer classes for practice and to see friends.
“I really like ballet, but I’ve gotten more into contemporary the last few years so I really like that too,” Bauer said. “My advice for those who have never danced is to have fun and know that nobody is judging you.”