UnheardUv: Electronica hub in The Hub

By Anna Marden, News Staff

While the name might be misleading, the crew who operate UnheardUv are really trying to get their favorite music heard. UnheardUv, a Boston based website and event production group was created to promote the local electronic music scene.
The UnheardUv group consists of recent graduates Lincoln Bryant, a computer science and multimedia major and Ian Moss, an information science major and Jonathan Baruc, a senior interactive media and graphic design major.
“We’re trying to bring into the light some of the people that might not normally get gigs,” Moss said. “Primarily our focus is on local acts and local artists and try[ing] to get them out there and have people hear their music.”
Initially, Moss and Bryant started UnheardUv in February 2010 as a blog about bass music and threw an event to promote the site, Baruc said. From there, Baruc, who had been writing a similarly-themed blog, joined the UnheardUv crew around August of last year. The group developed into the locally focused website and event company that exists today.
Baruc described UnheardUv as a portal or hub to connect people with the talented electronic artists in Boston.
The site currently receives 50-100 hits a day; however, they are trying to bring more people in by frequently posting links on Facebook and Twitter, Bryant said.
Moss said it was easy to shift from running the blog to planning events and operating a more serious website – he gave Boston some credit for making it a smooth transition.
“I think the jump from blog to promotional group and website came early, just because we wanted to do something more,” Moss said. “The electronic community in Boston is still very small and very easy to permeate.”
The group is driven by their desire to promote the comparatively small electronic scene in Boston and assist in its growth, Moss said.
“Boston really wasn’t on the map until recently, as far as electronic music is concerned, and that’s something we care about a lot, so we just wanted to help in any way that we could,” Moss said.
Moss said they got to know many other electronic event production crews by going out to their events and seeing how it was done, and decided they could do it themselves.
When UnheardUv first became involved with event planning in the spring of last year, they were booking regular shows at the now-closed Savant Project bar on Mission Hill. The monthly dance music night,  Funktion, helped the group make a lot of connections with people in the local electronica  scene.
“We started getting offers to help plan and promote nights at other venues and nights that are run by other [promotional groups] in Boston that have been doing this for longer,” Bryant said.
The UnheardUv crew currently books two shows a month on average.
The three members of the UnheardUv crew said they equally share the duties of posting on the website and coordinating events. Bryant and Moss designed the site themselves, since they are both  trained web designers, and Baruc worked on the visuals and branding for the group. Everyone updates the site’s calendar, posts about the local artists they want to expose and shares their content on social media.
“We get a lot of emails from labels and artists to post their new releases. If it’s [from] Boston and we like it, we’ll post it,” Baruc said. “We have a very eclectic taste in electronic music, between the three of us.”
In addition to promoting and showcasing Boston electronic acts, Bryant, Baruc and Moss also perform as DJs. Baruc is known as De Qualia, Bryant goes by Zion and Moss’ handle is DJ Pressplay. They each play a different style of electronica, reflecting their varied tastes, Baruc said.
Bryant explained that their DJing is separate from UnheardUv. He said no matter what, whether one of the crew members stops DJing or leaves Boston, that UnheardUv will continue to have a unified mission to promote good quality  local electronic events and artists.
“Obviously, we love the music, we love putting on a good show,  [and] we love showcasing local acts,” Moss said. “We [want to provide] a good time for our friends and other people who show up at our events.”