Artsy fun for everyone

By Anna Marden, News Correspondent

Art galleries and exhibitions are not just reserved for the snooty types who stare at a simple canvas splashed in a solid color, pondering its meaning before spending $20,000 to hang it in their living room. Some galleries offer more affordable art, or at least free admission and events such as live music or classes for patrons of any age or income bracket to enjoy.

Here is a short list of nearby galleries and exhibitions that can make great summer activities to enjoy with friends or even visiting parents.

The International Poster Gallery

This is not quite the average Newbury street gallery: The Poster Gallery is full of vibrant, original lithograph prints from the late 1800s through the mid 1900s.

The gallery is an Art Nouveau lover’s dream, featuring many intricate posters from around the world, reminiscent of the famous “Moulin Rouge” and “Absinthe Robette” lithographs.

The current exhibition is a summer series of travel posters, which is up until Labor Day weekend. The walls are constantly changing – as people buy the posters on display, alternate ones are hung.

Every piece in the store is on sale, many for less than $100, though some of the larger posters can reach several thousand dollars. The gallery also sells antique magazines and other small pieces of decorative ephemera like luggage labels.

Location: 205 Newbury St. – Between Exeter and Fairfield streets.
Hours: Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m.-6 p.m. except Sundays 12-6 p.m.

Out of the Blue Art Gallery

News staff photo/Anna Marden

This eclectic gallery is a cozy space which features works by approximately 40 local artists and is fully operated by volunteers. The art on display encompasses a range of styles, from 3-D collages to giant oil paintings of scenery to pop art that mocks celebrities like Charlie Sheen.

All the art is for sale, and much of it is relatively affordable, like handmade magnets of original art for just $20.

Out of the Blue supports many forms of creativity aside from traditional art – the operators also host free weekly events like live music shows, drum circles, poetry readings, open mic nights, storytelling, classes and workshops. The gallery also hosts or co-hosts events at other local venues, which may charge low admittance fees.

The mission of the organizers at Out of the Blue is to give opportunities to artists and musicians, no matter what their background or ability is, so many of the featured artists are just getting started. Additionally, the gallery is a home to two friendly cats.

Location: 106 Prospect St., Central Square – about a five-minute walk from the Central Square T stop.
Hours: Daily 12-8 p.m. 

Yes.Oui.Si – Stephen St. Francis Decky exhibit: “Les Animaux de l’Avenir”

News staff photo/Anna Marden

Yes.Oui.Si is a multimedia art space located just past the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) on Vancouver St., off Huntington Avenue. The current exhibit showcases the fun, whimsical works of artist and animator Stephen St. Francis Decky, who is a recent School of the Museum of Fine Arts graduate based in Northampton. The name of the show is “Les Animaux de l’Avenir,” which translates to “The Animals of the Future,” and runs through July 24.

Decky’s works include paintings, 3-D dioramas and a filmstrip of stop-action animation shorts, all depicting cartoon animals and other creatures set in playful environments. His pieces are for sale ranging from $125 to 6,000. The gift shop area in the gallery includes small works by Decky, like his handmade felt dolls of the characters featured in his works for $12, as well as T-shirts for $15.

Yes.Oui.Si is operated by the GreatFruit collective, a Boston-based group of young artists and musicians who work at the gallery on a volunteer basis. They also host free multimedia events like live music, yoga classes and film-showings.

Location: 19 Vancouver St. at the MFA T stop, right off Huntington Avenue.
Hours: Wed.-Sun. by appointment only, 12-5 p.m. 

Museum of Fine Arts – Dale Chihuly exhibit:  “Through the Looking Glass”

The MFA’s colorful new exhibit featuring the works of Seattle-based glass blower Dale Chihuly, “Through the Looking Glass,” runs through August 7.

Many of Chihuly’s works are gigantic glass sculptures that tower above museum-goers’ heads. Carefully designed lighting illuminates each of the glass pieces. Many of the installments in the exhibition are reminiscent of sea life – certain glass sculptures look like jellyfish, starfish or aquatic plant life.

The themes of the installments in the exhibit vary greatly:  One room contains a wooden boat full of large glass shapes; another features tall, purple glass spears protruding out of birch logs and a third room has a suspended clear glass ceiling that holds a careful arrangement of smaller glass pieces meant to be viewed from below. Some museum patrons lay on the carpeted floor or sit on the benches for optimal viewing.

There’s a Chihuly gift shop that sells smaller glass ornaments and decorations, books of his works and other memorabilia, such as an umbrella with a color image of Chihuly pieces printed on the inside of it for $35. The MFA is free for all Northeastern students with a school ID.

Location: Museum of Fine Arts, 465 Huntington Ave.
Hours: Sat.–Tues. 10 a.m.–4:45 p.m., Wed.–Fri. 10 a.m.–9:45 p.m.