Fall fashion forward

By Laura Finaldi, News Staff

Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/goforit5

Bold floral-print blouses paired with pinstripe pencil skirts. High-waisted pants flared out in the spirit of the 70s. A dress that seems normal at first glance, but then the wearer turns around to reveal an open back and buttons covering the fabric.

There’s no question about it — this fall’s fashion is edgy. While neutral tones are still hot this fall, big prints and varied shapes are taking clothing stores by a storm. Seeing someone strut down the street in a pleated beige dress with an audacious brightly colored accessory may not be the strangest sight this fall.

This trend is unique because it can be both edgy and conservative. The neutral colors will be a selling point for traditional trendsetters, while the shapes and patterns will attract courageous shoppers. Cayla O’Connell, manager of Mint Julep boutique in Coolidge Corner, isn’t complaining. She’s excited about the universal appeal of many of the pieces coming into her store this fall.

“We’re getting a lot of pieces that bridge the gap between our customers. It’s both edgy and classic at the same time,” she said. “Depending on if you accessorize it with stilettos or flats you get a completely different look.”

The idea of experimenting with prints can be scary, especially to people who tend to stick to the basics. But O’Connell encourages embracing the eclectic.

“I love prints. Often times people think they can only pull one off once in awhile, but I feel like you can’t go wrong if you pair them with the right accessories,” she said.

As far as accessories go, both O’Connell and Rascha Jelks, a sales associate at Turtle boutique in the South End, said bright-colored, bold accessories are going to be popular this fall, with an emphasis on large belts.

Neutrals, even in their most daring form, may not be edgy enough for the most intrepid fashionistas, so risk-takers can still stay fashionable with tribal and animal prints. Brianne Dyke, manager of Crush boutique in Beacon Hill, said the hair feather trend that started on the west coast will still be prevalent in the fall.

Photo Courtesy/Brianne Dyke
“They’re in everyone’s hair already – Los Angeles trends have a way of sweeping the nation really quickly. But now we’re seeing them in jewelry, too,” she said.

Asaad Fulton, a middler journalism major and vice president of Northeastern’s Haute Fashion club, said he is excited about this fall’s fashion because the looks seem easy to acquire. So easy, in fact, consumers don’t need to go all the way to boutiques to get the trends.

“Places like Target, H&M and Old Navy should be the first stops if you are looking for affordable in-style clothing for the fall,” he said.

Finding affordable, funky and bold accessories will be easier than pairing them up with different prints, but fearless fashionistas will have no problem mixing those accessories with already-popular neutrals.

“I am very excited for this fall’s fashion because it is overall a mellow, sophisticated-yet-casual look anyone can achieve by buying simple staple pieces while pairing them with classic accents,” Fulton said.

Dyke said she is excited for fall and new fashion to come to Boston.

“Fall in Boston feels so new and romantic,” she said. “The students return to school, everyone moves to new apartments, you can layer all of your brand new clothes, you change for dinner because it’s cooled down. … It’s all really exciting.”