Field hockey gains national recognition

By Katie Zigelman, News Staff
Junior forward Crystal Poland scored her 13th goal of this season last weekend against Stanford, helping raise the team’s overall record to 4-2 and national rank to 18.

The team won their first four official games of the season and their first two scrimmages. It was not until last Friday, Sept. 9, that the team recorded its first loss.

The Huskies’ season began with a 3-2 victory against Maine in which Poland scored two goals and made an assist. Poland then netted her first hat trick in the second game of the season against Providence. Sophomore forward Hannah Hoelscher scored her first collegiate goal during the same game, bringing the final score to 4-0. This was the first of two shutouts for junior goalkeeper Lizzie Priest.

The Huskies won the following game Sept. 3 versus Lafayette, 3-1 after Priest’s seven saves. Poland continued her scoring streak with a single goal in the game. In the very next game versus Michigan State on Sept. 5, Poland scored her second hat trick and Priest recorded her second shutout of the season. Subsequently, the Huskies won 5-0.

It was not until the game versus the University of California last Friday that the Huskies lost. Poland scored her first goal of the game after gaining a penalty stroke at 17.02. Both senior Carolyn Malloy and junior Nicky Graham assisted on Poland’s second goal at 60:24. Despite their 4-2 loss, the Huskies outshot the Golden Bears 14-13.

The team continued its west coast games on Sunday, Sept. 11, facing Stanford. The Huskies were dealt their second loss of the season in a close 4-2 game. Poland scored two goals in the first half of the game tying it going into the second half. Unfortunately, Northeastern was not able to hold off the Cardinals, and they fell behind permanently. Malloy and Graham both assisted on Poland’s first goal continuing their own scoring streaks.

“They were obviously tough games,” Murtagh said. “We know we need to play better. We didn’t play well on the road but had some good moments. The team has good structure and confidence level.”

Murtagh praised junior goalie Lizzie Priest, who has made a total of 35 saves so far this season, including two shutouts.

“Lizzie is playing great,” Murtagh said. “This weekend was tough for her. The defense needs to help her more. Lizzie is tough though, she’ll come back.”

This season marks Northeastern’s best start since 2004 when the team won its first six games. This is also the first time since Sept. 5, 2006 that the team has been voted back into the top 20 national rankings. They were also ranked 18th that year.

Priest said it was great to be nationally ranked, and added that the team has come together and worked hard during the preseason and the regular season to be where they are now.

Murtagh said it was exciting, but the team needs to be consistent throughout the season.

“We want to be ranking up at the end of the season,” Murtagh said. “We are not making a big deal about it this early in the season because we know that we are not going to stay there unless we are consistent.”

The team plays tomorrow at 6 p.m. at the University of Massachusetts–Amherst.

In the final 2010 national coaches poll, UMass found themselves ranked 18th. Despite this, Murtagh believes that her squad will be able to handle the team, now 2-3 on the year.

“We have a couple of days rest and we are ready for some local games,” Murtagh said.