Calendar: Sept. 15 – 21

By Anne Steele, News Staff

Entry of the Week: End of the Summer Eats

You’re back at school, the days are getting shorter and soon the leaves will change. But before you grab your first pumpkin-apple-cinnamon latte, don’t miss the last barbecue of the summer – and for a great cause. Have a final taste of warm weather Saturday at theGRAZE, a fundraiser cookout hosted by the Massachusetts Outdoor Volunteer Experience (theMOVE), an organization that educates people about farming and food sources. Good eats will feature natural, organic and unique local foods including naturally-raised meats and farm-fresh produce as well as more exotic cuisine like specialty sausages and goat kabobs. Not a meat eater? Enjoy the freshest locally-grown fruits and veggies from farms around the state as well as vegan side dishes and the Cambridge Brewing Company’s local beer. 38 Cherry St.; 4-8 p.m.; $40; getoutma.org/thegraze.

Thursday, Sept. 15

Growing up in the Facebook-Twitter-smart phone age, it’s hard to imagine life without an iPhone glued to your hand, the Internet at your fingertips. But what was life like before this technological influx? The Improv Asylum is excited to present its new revue, Life Before Sext. The Main Stage Show event at what has been named Boston’s Best Comedy Club, features a cast that blends sketch material with improvisation in front of a live audience, taking suggestions and creating scenes on the spot. Watch, listen and laugh as they tackle the changing world of technology with their twist on all the issues that come with that user name. 216 Hanover Street; 8 p.m.; $20; www.improvasylum.com.

Friday, Sept. 16

Check out the opening reception for the Salvador Dali special exhibition at the DTR Modern Art Gallery. This innovative and eccentric Spanish painter, whose name is practically synonymous with the surrealist art movement, has a lot more to offer than those melting clocks in your high school Spanish textbook. Michelle DuBois, Ph.D., a principal from DuBois fine art appraisal and consulting, will be attending as the guest of honor for the night. 167 Newbury Street; 6-8 p.m.; free; RSVP 617-424-9700.

Saturday, Sept. 17

ArtsEmerson brings WHY?, the Berkeley-based American alternative hip-hop and indie rock band, to Emerson to preview tracks from their freshly recorded album. This three-piece band of brothers (literally, three brothers) is led by witty wordsmith Jonathan “Yoni” Wolf, most renowned for his neurotic and comic – but deeply confessional – lyrics. Paramount Mainstage at Emerson College; 559 Washington St.; 8 p.m.; $18; www.artsemerson.org.

Sunday, Sept. 18

Join The Esplanade Association (TEA) as they kick off a new community events series, Sunday Fun in the Park. Take in picturesque views from the esplanade and connect with the Boston community while enjoying yoga, fishing, photography, games and more. Fiedler Field by the Hatch Shell; 1 David G Mugar Way; 2-4 p.m.; free;
theesplanadeassociation.org.

Monday, Sept. 19

The Museum of Science welcomes Boston students with free admission to College Night, including access to all exhibit halls, special exhibits, films and presentations. This year’s event features Omni and 3-D digital cinema shows, Theater of Electricity demonstrations, admission to the Butterfly Garden, live animal presentations and a chance to take a spin on a Segway for $5. Students can also score awesome door prizes from Boston businesses while KISS 108 FM plays on-site music. 1 Science Park; 5 p.m.; free with college ID; www.mos.org.

Tuesday, Sept. 20

If you’ve never tried Zumba – the Latin-inspired aerobic dance trending in the exercise world – now’s your chance to do so at Healthworks Fitness’s last class of the summer. Join their master instructors on the Esplanade for an awesome way to work up a sweat and have a good time. All levels of experience welcome. Come and keep these last nights of summer sizzling hot. 1 David G Mugar Way; 6:30 to 7 p.m.; free; www.healthworksfitness.com.

Wilco, a Chicago-based indie rock band, is coming to the Citi Performing Arts Center Wang Theatre during its U.S. tour to promote their new album, “The Whole Love.” Check out the website to request a song ahead of time. 270 Tremont Street; 8 p.m.; ticket prices vary; wilcoworld.net.

Wednesday, Sept. 21

The Boston Red Sox welcome students to College Night at Fenway Park as they take on the Baltimore Orioles. In addition to general standing room admission, tickets include entry to a private, pre-game party on the Budweiser Right Field Roof Deck, a raffle (including ticket upgrades and autographed items), exclusive access to the Players’ Club lounge during the game, an opportunity to take photos with the 2004 and 2007 World Series Trophies, a visit from Wally the Green Monster and a “College Night at Fenway” T-shirt. 4 Yawkey Way; 7:10 p.m.; $20 with student ID; boston.redsox.mlb.com.

Have an event coming up? E-mail the details to [email protected].

Events may be canceled or rescheduled. Call ahead to confirm.