Letter: Autumn is a time of nostalgia, relaxation

The beginning of a new school year is always hectic. Everyone is busy with classes, part-time jobs, socializing and various other distractions. Needless to say, time passes by in the blink of an eye. Let’s take a step back for a moment, take a deep breath and consider what’s changing around us. Autumn is approaching. The sights and smells of this glorious season are just beyond the horizon – and I for one can’t wait.
It’s hard to fully express what meaning autumn has for me. It’s like love – hard to explain, inescapable, and it’s rooted deep within your being. You know its presence immediately and can’t help but emit pure bliss because of it. When I think of autumn, it’s not an image or event that immediately springs to mind, but it’s a way of life, full of relaxation and comfort that repeats itself year after year. I look forward to this season in New England because it has purpose and a meaning in my life.

So what does autumn mean to me? It’s a time for leaves to change color, apple picking, pumpkin pie and, most importantly, a time to enjoy family and friends. Autumn is special because its meaning and importance evolve, similar to ourselves. We grow up enjoying the activities this season embodies; trick or treating, bobbing for apples, laughing on hay rides, carving pumpkins, jumping in piles of leaves and enjoying freshly made pies. As adults, we begin to romanticize and feel the nostalgia this season provides like no other; beautiful landscapes, early sunsets, comfortable weekend walks with a loved one, backyard pickup football games and Grandma’s home cooking on Sunday.
This evolution that takes place will be rather important when we look back on our lives 40 or 50 years from now. I can imagine sitting in a rocking chair, overlooking a vast field, holding a warm cup of cider in hand; all while reminiscing on a lifetime worth of memories with a smile. I realize that many readers may have similar feelings towards other seasons, and if not, I encourage you to think about which season has significant meaning for your life. Happy Autumn!

– Joe Pollack is a senior corporate and organizational communication major.