Northeastern musicians return from summer tour across the United States

News Photo/Ryan Kehr

By Yisu Kim, News Correspondent

Three years ago, a group of freshmen met in Nate Belasco’s cramped basement to jam for the first time. Today, that same group has toured the United States, released two albums and amassed a national following.
Together, Belasco, Mark Aylward and Zack Zukowski, all 2011 music industry graduates, and James Staub, currently a senior dual music technology and interactive media major, make up MAMMOX. As students at Northeastern, the members of MAMMOX familiarized themselves with the industry by taking music classes and using a semester to work on co-op as a band. In April 2010, the band released a self-titled debut album and in June 2011, released a second album, “Sleep Eater.”
At the heart of the band is 2011 music industry graduate and manager Joanna Ericta, who booked MAMMOX two national tours through venues spanning from Seattle to Providence in Aug. 2010 and July 2011. Ericta has coupled her knowledge of the industry with the band members’ skill for producing and mastering tracks to lead MAMMOX.
From its initial creation in 2009, MAMMOX has prided itself on its blend of electronic, punk and hip hop music. Though their sound has remained consistent since they formed, MAMMOX is no longer the same band that could only create music through Ableton Live, a type of music recording and processing software.
“We would create things that were physically impossible [to play],” said Staub, the band’s bassist. “There are miles between the first album and what’s going to be the third album this year.”
Through the band’s evolution, Ericta’s role in MAMMOX has extended past that of a standard band manager. After learning about the music industry through classes, Ericta said she eagerly sought firsthand experience and soon immersed herself in the world of band management.
“I’m kind of everything right now, because we’re not a famous band,” Ericta said. “We’re doing it ourselves. It’s taking a lot of hard work. Right now, I help them screen print their merchandise, I talk to whoever needs to be talked to to book bands and I promote social media pages like Facebook and Twitter.”

News Illustration/Adam Sandore

According to music industry professor Jim Anderson, because MAMMOX is not a mainstream band, they have had to work hard to maintain their unique sound.
“I can tell you right now that MAMMOX is not doing what everybody else does,” Anderson said. “I mean that in every sense of the word. They’re not mainstream pop, they’re not mainstream hip hop, they’re not mainstream anything. They’re an acquired taste, but if they get in front of people, there’s always enough there for everybody to get into.”
When Ericta first started managing MAMMOX in 2010, the group struggled with its on-stage personality during concerts after years of producing music in the privacy of their own rooms. Since then, the members have grown into their roles and become more confident, daring performers who love their craft and are proud to show it off.
Since Ericta and all four members of MAMMOX were music majors, they possess a rare background knowledge of composition and a solid foundation of music production. Because their sound is so different, however, what MAMMOX has achieved in the span of three years is no small feat, Anderson said.
“Because they’re all educated musicians, they can bring something to the party that very few people can,” he said. “And it doesn’t just come from theory. It comes from the fact that a lot of them have been involved in music technology. So I think what they’ve done is great because this idea of going out on a tour — it’s really scary stuff.”
From coast to coast, MAMMOX used its understanding of the music industry to break into the indie music scene.  After getting a taste of life on the road, Ericta remains passionate about leading the band to greater heights even today as they prepare for their next gig at Western Front, Cambridge tomorrow.
“It’s really unpredictable on the road,” Ericta said. “One day, you’re having the time of your life and the next day, you want to go home and not do it anymore.”
Ericta, however, is undaunted by the rigors of touring.
“It’s always rewarding when you see that you’ve booked a string of shows that are all promising and look really fun,” she said.. This is something that I want to do for the rest of my life.”