What’s going on in the world of sex and health research?

Keep up-to-date on what’s good, bad and healthy with these factual bits

News Illustration/Adam Sandore

By Sarah Henry, News Correspondent

1) Strong Women Have Less Sex

Women who hold stronger positions in their household tend to have sex less often, according to a new study conducted by the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health. Women who were more involved in or in control of decision-making reported less sexual activity in the month before they were surveyed, compared with those with less authority. Researchers say that these findings are important in taking steps to help women across the world achieve a more “safe and pleasurable” sex life, as well as protecting the sexual rights of women. The goal of the study was to examine how different distributions of power effect a relationship sexually. This study was conducted throughout six countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, but, according to research, the pattern could hold true for relationships across the world.

2) Sexual Satisfaction in Relation to Location

In a study called “The Great Female Survey” conducted by AskMen.com written about in Cosmopolitan Magazine, thousands of women were polled about all aspects of their lives, ranging from Facebook to money to relationships.

The study was conducted at the beginning of 2011. According to the survey, Australian women are most satisfied with their sex lives (27 percent said “wouldn’t change a thing”), but British women had the highest percentage (23 percent) for having sex with co-workers or in the office (American women came in second in that category, at 19 percent).

3) Healthy bacteria

Research released in August by scientists at the Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre at the University College Cork (UCC) in Ireland suggests that probiotic bacteria may have positive effects on anxiety and depression. Probiotic bacteria can be found in capsule form, in certain types of yogurt and purchased almost anywhere that sells groceries or vitamin supplements.

Mice were fed the bacteria in order to see if it may be useful in conjunction with other forms of therapy in treating anxiety and depression. This is the first recorded instance of bacteria actually changing receptors in the brain to consistently produce less stress in the subject. So when finals roll around, think about grabbing a yogurt as a cramming snack.

4) Too lazy to exercise? It’s in your genes

Know exercising is a good idea, but hate getting off the couch? Research published in August says lack of motivation to exercise might go beyond willpower. In a study of mice with the activated protein kinase (AMPK) gene taken out, results showed that it is essential in determining how naturally motivated people are to exercise. AMPK is important for regulating enzyme activity and cellular localization, however, it is possible to be born without this gene. Scientists took a group of mice, all with AMPK, and took the gene out of half the group. Results were clear.

“Mice love to run,” Gregory Steinberg, associate professor of medicine in the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine and Canada Research Chair in metabolism and obesity, said in the study. “While the normal mice could run for miles, those without the genes in their muscle could only run the same distance as down the hall and back. It was remarkable. The mice looked identical to their brothers or sisters but within seconds we knew which ones had the genes and which one didn’t.”

The study was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Exercise is still a necessary and healthy part of life, but the next time you cancel a gym date, it’s OK to go ahead and blame it on genetics.