Huskies hockey ranked eighth

By: James Brooks, News Staff

Coach Jim Madigan doesn’t have to worry about preventing the men’s hockey team from falling into the basement of the Hockey East conference anymore. Apparently, his team is already there.

Hockey East Commissioner Joe Bertagna released the 2011-12 men’s pre-season coaches poll on Tuesday afternoon, and the results have the Huskies ranked 8th out of 10 teams, far below nearby rivals Boston College and Boston University, who are ranked first and second, respectively.

Whether Madigan’s hiring as head coach this summer set the Huskies back is purely speculation. What is not a matter of speculation, however, is the amount of talent the Huskies have lost since last season (seven players), talent that cost the Huskies in the pre-season poll.

“Losing our top line hurts a little,” senior forward Mike McLaughlin said. “Rankings don’t really mean much, we’ll turn it around.”

Madigan, who has yet to see his new team in action, said his squad has the potential to outperform their predicted ranking – despite the slew of Hockey East coaches who beg to differ.

“We just look at it as incentive to prove the prognosticators wrong,” he said. “Our players have a lot of confidence and ability. We have a good core of players returning from last year.”

Northeastern sits above only University of Massachusetts at Lowell and Providence College, who combined for a total of eight conference wins in 54 total games last year.

If the Huskies are to climb the conference ladder, they will need quality coaching from Madigan, and, perhaps more importantly, superior play and leadership from players like McLaughlin and junior forward Steve Quailer.

“Mike McLaughlin is our leader,” Madigan said. “He doesn’t say a lot, but when he does speak up, players take notice. They heed his advice, they heed his knowledge. He’s got a commanding respect in the locker room.”

As for Quailer, Madigan spoke of his capability with the puck in his possession, and said that he knows the junior forward would love to build off his strong finish to last season.

“Steve Quailer has a lot of offensive skill and ability,” he said. “I’ve been really impressed with his laser-like focus for the last ten days. He understands what it takes to get to that next level, where he wants to get to.”

The pair of upperclassmen and their coach will have their first chance to prove naysayers wrong when they face off against the University of Massachesetts Oct. 7 at Matthews Arena. The Huskies will also have an exhibition game to work out any kinks before the season opener, at 2 p.m. Sunday Oct. 2. They will take on St. Francis Xavier University of Canada on home ice.

“We get right into it,” Madigan said of the Husky schedule. “There are no easy nights in Hockey East.”