Look of the Week

Maureen McMullan, a graduate student from Scotland, said her personal style is inspired by 1950s silhouettes, vintage looks and classic French styles. She said she likes the American “prep” look associated with Ralph Lauren and J.Crew. A native of Scotland, she finds the “casual, beach-inspired” look of shorts or sweats to be a novelty, however, she has taken a liking to them.

News Photo/Megan Araghi

She said she finds American style overall to be much more casual and relaxed than what she’s used to, and said certain items such as tennis shoes are rarely, if ever, worn in Scotland.

“Even just going to the supermarket, my girlfriends and I tend to look a little dressier in Scotland,” she said, adding that tennis shoes are rarely, if ever, worn outside the gym in Scotland.

Around Boston, McMullan said she enjoys finding pieces at high-end consignment shops on Newbury Street, as well as Zara and Banana Republic.

She manages to pull off femininity without looking ostentatious by properly balancing the ensemble and choosing accessories that don’t overpower the outfit. By combining a skinny belt with a longer skirt, a more ladylike silhouette is created and modernizes the outfit. At the same time, her black booties balance the outfit by giving it an edge that keeps it from looking overly girly.

-Megan Araghi, News Correspondent