Calendar: Oct. 13-19

By Anne Steele, News Staff

Entry of the Week: The Buried Life

The cast of MTV’s “The Buried Life” is coming to Northeastern today with one question: What do you want to do before you die? As part of their college tour, these four regular guys aim to inspire people to create lists based on this question. The plot of their MTV hit show is simple – to complete a list of “100 Things To Do Before You Die” while helping others along the way. For each item they try to complete on their list, they help a stranger achieve one of their dreams and encourage others to go after their own lists. With the second season on air, the group is traveling across North America in a purple transit bus named Penelope to inspire others to do everything from asking a girl out to surviving on a desert island. The cast will be available after the presentation for pictures, a meet and greet and a question and answer session. Presented by Delta Phi Epsilon and Resident Student Association (RSA). Blackman Auditorium; 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.; free tickets for students on myNEU; feed.theburiedlife.com.

Thursday, Oct. 13

NU Mix is collaborating with Northeastern’s Unity Gospel Ensemble to host Unity Mix Open Mic at afterHOURS. It is an NU +1 event, and everyone is invited to come, listen, share and perform. This is their first collaboration, and NU Mix and Unity Gospel Ensemble hope to start the new school year on a good note and introduce the campus to these two student organizations. They also hope to promote the concepts of unity and sharing student voices. The event is open to both music lineups and spoken word artists. The hosting groups hope students will come, bring friends, have fun and be inspired. afterHOURS; 7 to 10 p.m.; free ticket on myNEU, +1; [email protected].

Friday, Oct. 14

Steve Miller Band is coming to the Orpheum Theatre as part of its national tour. This San Francisco-based American rock band is known for a string of hit singles (“Fly Like an Eagle,” “The Joker”) that have become staples of the classic rock radio format. 1 Hamilton Place; 7:30 p.m.; $53.50 to $67.50; www.livenation.com.

Saturday, Oct. 15

The seventh annual Boston Bike Film Festival (BBFF) comes pedaling into The Brattle Theatre this weekend to celebrate the art of cycling film. This event is the only nonprofit cycling film festival in New England, and all money raised supports cycling advocacy in Massachusetts. This year’s event funds will support Mass Bike and Bikes Not Bombs. Among the films shown will be “Between the Curbs,” a short movie that won Best Documentary at the Ivy Film Festival in Providence. This year the festival is bringing back the BBFF Ride to the Movies so attendees can bike around Boston, exploring sites of films made in the city including old favorites such as “The Departed” and “Good Will Hunting,” as well as new films just released like “I Don’t Know How She Does It” and “What’s Your Number?” 40 Brattle St.; 7 to 11 p.m.; $18; www.bostonbikefilmfest.org.

The Boston Book Festival, now in its third year, is the largest literary event in New England. This Saturday, Copley Square will be packed with more than 100 world-renowned authors, workshops and participatory events like Writer Idol and Flash Fiction, exhibitors, live music, booksellers and book signings, activities and food. This event caters to all literary tastes from sports novels to crime fiction to the environment to romance. All events are free, but go online to reserve a spot in limited-seating venues. Copley Square; 10:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (check the schedule for specific events); free; bostonbookfest.org.

Sunday, Oct. 16

The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus is coming to Boston to mark the 200th anniversary of P.T Barnum’s birth. The show will feature performers from all over the world, including high-wire artists, contortionists, a physics-defying motorcycle troupe and an interactive pre-show on the floor. TD Garden; 100 Legends Way; 1 p.m.; $22 to $140; www.ticketmaster.com.

Monday, Oct. 17

The Wilbur Theatre presents “Girls Night Out: The Musical,” a female feel-good comedy. Hitting Boston after touring across the country since 2007, it has been described as “Desperate Housewives” and “Sex and the City” meets “Mama Mia.” The funny but touching musical follows five friends during a wild and outrageous girls night out at a karaoke bar. Together, they reminisce, celebrate their current lives and look to the future, all the while belting out an array of classic lady-power anthems. 246 Tremont Street; 7:30 p.m.; $47 to $67; www.ticketmaster.com.

Tuesday, Oct. 18

Electro-rock songstress Lights is coming to The Middle East Downstairs for the first stop on her US tour, just after her new album, “Siberia,” which peaked at No. 3 on Canadian iTunes via pre-orders, dropped Oct. 4. The young Canadian hit the music scene in 2008 after writing songs for other artists since she was 16 and rose as a one-woman show, playing and programming her own instruments. After being turned on to dub step, she has opened up to a more pop-focused sound, though the genre’s grimy beats and sensory minimalism heavily influences her recent music. 472 Massachusetts Ave.; 6 p.m.; $15; mideastclub.com.

Wednesday, Oct. 19

“Peter Pan,” the spectacular new 360-degree multimedia stage production of J.M. Barrie’s classic story, performed in a state-of-the-art theater tent, flies into Boston’s City Hall Plaza this week. Dizzying and magical, this theatrical experience features 23 British and American actors, puppets, music and dazzling flying sequences performed in the world’s first 360-degree computer-generated imagery (CGI) theater set. Boston City Hall Plaza; 7 p.m.; $35 to $100; www.peterpantheshow.com.

Have an event coming up? E-mail the details to [email protected].

Events may be canceled or rescheduled. Call ahead to confirm.