An adventure in the White Mountains with NUHOC

Photo courtesy/Syeda Raji

By Annie Henderson, News Staff

Sometimes you just have to escape the city. Why not take a camping trip? Pitch your tent somewhere in the woods, make s’mores around the fire, maybe go on a hike during the day. Picture that with 120 other Northeastern students and you have an idea of the frenzy that is NUHOC’s annual NuComers retreat.

The Northeastern University Huskiers and Outing Club (NUHOC) organizes many trips throughout the year, but none compare to their kick-off event, which took place last weekend. NuComers is by far the biggest trip of the year, when the club opens the doors of its beloved lodge to welcome those interested in seeing what NUHOC is all about. The lodge is located in the White Mountains along the Maine-New Hampshire border and has been the backbone of the club since the 1970s. Members use it as a base camp year-round for activities such as hiking, rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding and mountain biking.

Over the long weekend, NUHOC brought a slew of veteran members and newbies up to the lodge to participate in an array of activities around the White Mountains. Tickets were sold for $37 on myNEU. Hikes up Mount Washington, Mount Monroe and Bald Face, rock climbing trips for beginners and experienced climbers, apple picking and a leisurely day at the swimming hole were all a part of the jam-packed NuComers retreat. Those lucky enough to score a spot on the outing were able to take their pick of the daytime activities and then head out with smaller groups of kids to conquer whatever endeavor they chose.

If climbing a mountain during the day wasn’t enough, there was plenty of fun to be had at base camp at night. The area around the lodge is an outdoorsy wonderland. A glacier stream runs nearby, offering those who are courageous enough to brave the freezing waters an opportunity to rinse off after a long day in the woods. Evening expeditions were taken to “The Ledges,” a cliff overlooking a sweeping valley with amazing views of the stars. Experienced NUHOCers took pride in leading groups of eager freshmen to secret spots such as The Ledges and others, including a boulder field and caves surrounding the lodge.

I was entirely impressed by the troopers who, after a long day of strenuous outdoor activities, had the energy to stay up for the many nighttime shenanigans that transpired. However, those who just wanted to chill out at night were afforded the luxury of a raging campfire with seats to fit at least 40 people. NUHOC even provided enough s’mores materials for the 120 bellies that rotated around the fire at night.

The organizers of the trip did an amazing job managing transportation and supplies for the mob of people they hosted for NuComers weekend. The cost of food was included in the ticket, and everyone was kept full and happy. Bagels were provided in the morning along with supplies to pack your own lunch to take along for day trips. The evening meals were satisfying and delicious. Many chipped in with dinnertime preparation to create a steaming vat of chili one night and trays of baked ziti the next. I applaud those involved for successfully feeding a group of students the size of a small army for three whole days. Did I mention there was no running water?

As if the beautiful location and endless outdoor fun wasn’t enough, NuComers could not have happened on a more perfect weekend. The weather was beautiful – 80 degrees and sunny all three days – and the time of season was quintessential New England with fall foliage in all its glory. With a trip like that, NUHOC must have successfully recruited quite a few more to its band of loyal members.