Calendar: Oct. 27-Nov. 2

By Anne Steele, News Staff

Entry of the Week: Spooks on Screen

The Coolidge Corner Theatre presents 12 heart-stopping hours of gruesome gore at the 11th annual Halloween Horror Movie Marathon from midnight, Saturday, Oct. 29 to noon, Sunday, Oct. 30. Load up on candy corn and brace yourself for seven horror classics as part of the @fter Midnite series. This year’s event promises more fright flicks than ever before, from punk-rock zombie victims to Italian horror masterpieces. All films will be screened on 35mm film. The marathon begins with a double feature: “Suspiria” and “Return of the Living Dead.” The remaining five movie titles won’t be revealed until the event itself. Besides hours of nail-biting, hair-raising horror, there will be a costume contest, prizes and a slew of other treats including special shorts and trailers from the archives. 290 Harvard St.; 12 a.m. Saturday to 12 p.m. Sunday; $20 for entire marathon or $15 for double feature only; www.coolidge.org.

Thursday, Oct. 27

Celebrate Halloween with tricks for a treat at the Improv Asylum. Interact with the cast during their sketch comedy act inspired by the best and worst parts of everyone’s favorite spooky holiday, complete with improv, candy, costumes and human centipedes. Join the cast and crew for an after party at Goody Glover’s Bar directly following the show. Costumes welcome. 216 Hanover St.; 10 p.m.; $10; www.improvasylum.com.

Friday, Oct. 28

Duran Duran is coming to the Citi Performing Arts Center Wang Theatre while on tour for their new album “All You Need is Now.” The English band, a leader of the “Second British Invasion” in the United States, has put 21 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 with their own brand of new wave rock. Special guest Neon Trees will open the show. 270 Tremont St.; 8 p.m.; $47.50 to $125; www.citicenter.org.

Saturday, Oct. 29

If the Red Sox didn’t bring enough fear to Fenway this season, SpookyWorld will. America’s horror scream park presents “The Fear at Fenway” this Halloween for this legendary New England event’s first Boston appearance in 20 years. The park will feature three major attractions. Hancock Hill Cemetery, grave to hundreds from Boston’s most illustrious families and notorious characters, is a landmark where wickedness refuses to rest, haunting surrounding communities. Brigham Manor, a distinguished old home known for 13 atrocities in the 1800s, makes locals tremble and brings savage fate to historians who try to chronicle its unspeakable past. 3D Freakout promises shocks and screams waiting around each corner where nothing is as it seems – try to escape creeping creatures and noxious fumes for the ultimate “them versus you.” This event runs until Nov. 6 and students can receive $15 off tickets for Sunday through Thursday. 4 Yawkey Way; 5 to 11 p.m.; $35; boston.redsox.mlb.com.

Sunday, Oct. 30

The SoWa Open Market, which offers a distinctive Boston shopping experience with an ever-changing group of artisans in the fresh air, will host its last market of the season this weekend. An opportunity to meet the artists, vendors and farmers behind the work, the market offers shoppers exceptional products – everything from hand-crafted accessories, original art, indie designer clothing and fresh loaves of bread. This weekend is “Market of the Living Dead” and $250 will be awarded for the best costume. 460 Harrison Ave.; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; free entry; www.sowaopenmarket.com.

Monday, Oct. 31

Boston Halloween Pub Crawl will feature some of the best bars in town with amazing specials. Meet new friends and visit new places on one of the most fun nights of the year: Halloween. Participants must bring their ID and Print-At-Home Ticket to Good Bar to register. Good Bar; 183 State St.; 12 p.m. to 2 a.m.; $15 to $75; 21+; www.snaptickets.com.

Tuesday, Nov. 1

Science on Screen returns to the Coolidge Corner Theatre this month with Luis Buñuel’s 1972 Academy Award winner for Best Foreign Language Film “The Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisie.” Robert Stickgold, associate professor of psychiatry and director of the Center for Sleep and Cognition at Harvard Medical School will speak about the film, which poses viewers with endless conundrums regarding dreams and reality. Find out what the latest scientific research tells us about the dreaming brain. 290 Harvard St.; 7 p.m.; $7.75; www.coolidge.org.

Wednesday, Nov. 2

The Museum of Fine Arts presents “Vincent Van Gogh: New Revelations,” an opportunity to learn about what emerged during 10 years of profound research of the artist’s turbulent personal life and how deep immersion in era art and literature shaped one of the greatest minds in Western art. George Shackelford, Art of Europe chair, and Arthur K. Solomon, curator of Modern Art, who co-organized the MFA’s popular exhibition “Van Gogh: Face to Face” will discuss the new biography “Van Gogh: The Life” with Pulitzer Prize-winning authors Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith. 161 Remis Auditorium; 465 Huntington Ave.; 7 to 8 p.m.; $15 with student ID; www.mfa.org.

Have an event coming up? E-mail the details to [email protected].

Events may be canceled or rescheduled. Call ahead to confirm.