Concert puts a Carribean spin on Coltrane

Photo courtesy/Craig Bailey/Perspective Photo

By Frederick Churchville

News Correspondent

Since its inception in 1977, the John Coltrane Memorial Concert (JCMC) has transmitted the ideals contained in the work of the musician, who believed that his music had the power to change the world.
This year marked the 34th annual concert, part of a series that strives to honor the legacy of John Coltrane and to preserve his memory.
Many people involved this year said that this was a very special performance given by the concert’s ensemble. The nine song set showcased a number of classic Coltrane songs reformatted in the Afro-Caribbean tradition, including new arrangements of Coltrane’s “Giant Steps”  and “Mr. PC”  as well as renditions by other famed jazz musicians.
“This year it really cooked,” said Mary Curtin, who has been the JCMC’s marketing and publicity coordinator for the last five years. “It really had that feel that you just want to get up and dance.”
In connection with the celebration of Afro-Carribean traditions, Saturday’s performance also recognized announcer and producer José Massó, host of the WBUR Afro-Latin music program “¡Con Salsa!,”  and recent inductee into the Massachusetts Broadcaster’s Hall of Fame. Massó has been recognized for his work in the fields of education, communications, politics, entertainment and sports. Massó has hosted “¡Con Salsa!”  for the last 36 years.
This year’s event featured some new faces in the 14 person John Coltrane Memorial Ensemble, including Jeff Galindo on trombone, Ricardo Monzon on percussion, David Neves on trumpet and Joel Larue Smith on piano. Smith also arranged the ensemble’s performances of “Giant Steps”  and “My Favorite Things.”
“The new faces that we brought in brought their own integrity, and they fit in well with the traditions that we’ve established for 34 years,”  Leonard Brown, associate professor of African-American studies and music, said. “They understood what we were supposed to do and, most importantly, they brought the best they could have.”
Brown, who co-founded the JCMC with percussionist Syd Smart and late bassist Hayes Burnett, produced this year’s concert in conjunction with Emmett G. Price III, chair of the African-American studies department and an associate professor of music, as well as Meisha Swaby, a senior political science student and co-op production assistant to this year’s unique performance.
According to host Eric Jackson of WGBH, this is the third year the JCMC has featured Afro-Caribbean musical traditions, earning it the title “Coltrane’s Ashé III” Ashé is  a Yoruban word referring to the all-encompassing energy that connects all things, was a concept important to Coltrane and his philosophies on life and this year focuses on his special connection to this idea.
Jackson also noted the remembrance of Vincent “Sa”  Davis, founding member and percussionist in the Memorial Ensemble, who died in 2010 and was honored during this year’s performance.
“I think it was on their minds this year, that they had to fill in, feel the spirit inside and play it,”  Jackson said. it’s
One of the most important aspects of the memorial concert, according to many there, is the messages that are conveyed through Coltrane’s music.
“Just showing the influence that his music can have on people,”  Swaby said. “I think that’s one of the biggest things that people can take away from the concert.”
“I think there are a number of important messages,”  Brown said. “One is about our commonalities as human beings and another is how music can be a force to make the world a better place.”
Brown said he and his fellow musicians hope to play the music of Coltrane with the same intent with which Coltrane himself would have played with, an intent which was “to make the world a better place.”
One of the most intriguing aspects of the JCMC is the musicians themselves, who, this year, were all Boston natives.
“The area is rich with a lot of national talent,” said Jackson’s wife Linda, who has been attending the concert annually for 30 years now. “We’re very fortunate to have them.”
“The musicians are extraordinary,”  Don Carlson, a member of JazzBoston, one of the event’s sponsors, said. “And the music – it’s inspirational.”
Jackson said the high standard of performance that the concert provides every year is notable.
“It’s such a quality of musicianship. It’s such a high level of quality that you just want to keep coming back,”  Jackson said. “Even if you don’t know what they’re going to do, you know it’s going to be good.”