Editorial: Regional campuses are a bold idea for the university

This week, The News reported that Northeastern officially opened a regional campus in Charlotte, N.C. The article also mentioned that the university is looking to create similar campuses in several other locations. These programs will only offer graduate degrees which will be tailored based on the needs of the community where they are located. While there are several pros and cons involved in this decision, the administration is certainly taking a bold step.

Aoun claims we are ahead of the curve and that “the American system of higher education is going to change dramatically in the 21st century.” But do we really want to turn Northeastern into a franchise? It cheapens our name. If someone wants to go to Harvard, they come to Cambridge. Cambridge doesn’t go to them. Our students have gotten smarter and more talented each year because Northeastern is a competitive school for undergraduate and graduate programs alike – it is in demand. Is it necessary to have campuses all over the country?

With more Northeastern programs springing up across the country, the focus of the administration will shift – if only slightly. There are things here that we still need addressed – more dormitories, space issues and community relations. More campus locations means less TLC for us here in Boston. The more we stretch our resources and our time, the less attention each place will receive.

An article in the Boston Globe quoted Aoun saying we will have competitors such as the University of Phoenix. But is this something we really want to compare ourselves with? The same article mentions that the University of Phoenix has more than 200 campuses worldwide, and that they have been accused of running a diploma mill in the past. Not exactly what one thinks of in terms of prestige.

There are some valid points associated with the expansions. For one, they will allow Northeastern to develop more relationships with potential employers – whether you’re looking for a co-op or a job. It will also increase our sphere of influence. There may be kids in Seattle and Charlotte who will become interested in Northeastern and come here for their undergraduate degree simply because they were exposed to the name associated with the regional campuses.

It is yet to be determined if Aoun is on to something. Perhaps he is right and the model of higher education is changing. Maybe we are ahead of the curve, and maybe we’ll all look back on this and applaud Northeastern.

But maybe not.