Column: Apparel drive kicks off the holiday spirit

Not everyone agrees with the outrageously early endorsements, but let’s face it: The holiday season is upon us.

Dunkin’ Donuts is already selling gingerbread-flavored coffee. Starbucks is serving peppermint mochas in seasonal red cups. Macy’s at Downtown Crossing is already displaying wreaths, garland, and twinkle lights around jewelry cases and near clothing racks. CVS already replaced the fall pumpkin-shaped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups with pine tree-shaped chocolates.

And, the worst part? This year, the first snowfall in the city came before Halloween trick-or-treaters even had the chance to put on their costumes and knock on their neighbors’ front doors.

We can’t avoid the radio DJs who play holiday music before Thanksgiving, the children and parents who form lines in malls to snap yet another photograph with Santa Claus, or the TV commercials with Hershey’s kisses moving up and down to the sounds of bells.

But with the marketing issues aside, it’s never too early to spread holiday cheer, especially when participating in a campus-wide charity event.

With the help of the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) and Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Co-op Connections will host the Warm Hands Warm Hearts Winter Apparel Drive. On Sunday, Nov. 20, students can bring gently used or new winter hats, gloves, coats, scarves and other accessories to the ground floor of Speare Commons to spread holiday cheer.

Besides giving to charity, students can also participate in seasonal activities throughout the afternoon, including decorating cookies and reindeer candy canes, making holiday cards for soldiers, crafting felt mice and creating holiday decorations. Attendees will also have the chance to make turkey hands to remember what they are thankful for before Thanksgiving.

“We didn’t want to have students come just to donate. We wanted to make it an event. It definitely puts you in the spirit,” said Sonya Cottam, the director of Co-op Connections, which offers support to students throughout the entire co-op experience.

At the end of the event, Co-op Connections and the student groups will donate the clothing to Friends of Boston’s Homeless to prepare individuals for the winter months. The nonprofit corporation works to help homeless people move beyond shelters and back into the community as independent citizens.

“Community service is always something we think about,” Cottam told The News. “We’re always telling students what is available for them, but we actually wanted to do something independent of just keeping students in the know.”

This year marks the office’s second year of hosting the apparel drive, which will take place between 1 and 3 p.m. Last year, the donations filled at least three large boxes, Cottam said, adding that she hopes students will “top that this year.”

“I like the fact that students are meeting one another … That’s always my goal, connecting students,” she said.

Without even looking, I know my drawers are filled with multiple pairs of gloves and scarves that I don’t use – and haven’t for years. And I can say the same about my three roommates’ closets. If each Northeastern student thinks similarly, imagine how many boxes we can fill this year.

It’s that time to spread cheer. Begin early this year by donating an article of clothing to help Boston’s homeless stay warmer during an unpredictable, stormy New England winter. Someone needs that extra scarf or coat more than you do. They will appreciate it.

– Michele Richinick can be reached at [email protected].