Calendar: Nov. 10-16

By Anne Steele, News Staff

Entry of the Week: Cheapskates on the Pond

’Tis the season if you’re a cheapskate date. The Boston Common Frog Pond is launching a special college night of ice skating Tuesday, where students with a current college ID can get half-price admission for just $2. Emerson College’s WERS 88.9FM will be by the outdoor skating arena mixing indie rock, alternative, reggae, hip hop and special surprises. Warm up with seasonal eats from the Frog Pond Café, including a grilled cheese bar, Belgian waffles made to order and other comfort foods. This college night will happen every Tuesday throughout the season, weather permitting. Be sure to check for weather updates on the Boston Frog Pond website. Grab friends – or a cheapskate date – for an affordable way to get into the holiday spirit. Rental skates are available at the pond for $9. 148 Tremont St.; 7 to 9 p.m.; $2 admission; www.bostonfrogpond.com.

Thursday, Nov. 10

Check out Liftopia.com’s 5th anniversary Ski Season Kick Off Party in Boston to meet and mingle with fellow skiers, snowboarders, winter enthusiasts and Liftopia fans from the New England area. Have a cocktail or beer with the Liftopia crew at The Vault. Don’t miss the raffle – an opportunity to win Liftopia gift cards, prizes and swag. Liftopia is the largest online seller of ski lift tickets and offers thousands of deals to resorts around the world. 105 Water St.; 6:30 p.m.; free; liftopiaskiseasonkickoffboston.eventbrite.com.

Friday, Nov. 11

Boston International Antiquarian Book Fair at the Hynes Convention Center, a weekend-long event which kicks off Friday, is one of the oldest and largest rare book events in the country, featuring more than 125 dealers displaying and selling rare books, fine prints, maps, atlases, photographs and ephemera. This event includes free lectures on “Decorating with Books and Prints,” “A ‘Suite’ Collection: Rethinking What Your Books Can Do” and “Redefining Collecting, Reconceiving Writing.” The Tichnor Society’s 10th annual Collectors Roundtable will feature Thomas Harakal discussing Jack London’s first book, “The Son of the Wolf”; Addie LaBraico, discussing her extensive 25-year-long collection of bookends and Scott DeWolfe describing his Key West collection, “Scenes from Margaritaville; Documenting Key West History through books, photographs, and ephemera.” 900 Boylston St.; 5 to 9 p.m.; $15 on Friday, $8 on Saturday and Sunday;
www.bostonbookfair.com.

Saturday, Nov. 12

Join Watson Adventures on a murder mystery scavenger hunt at the Museum of Fine Arts. In this whodunit, a curator has been murdered – but not before leaving a trail of clues connected with secrets in works of art at the museum. The murder victim knew too much. Become a super sleuth to find out what he knew and discover why it drove someone to commit murder. To find out, you’ll have to crack a secret code the victim left behind. Price includes museum admission and advance purchase is required. 465 Huntington Ave.; 1 p.m.; $35.50 to $37.50;
watsonadventures.com.

Sunday, Nov. 13

FMC Ice Sports will host the second annual Cell Phones for Soldiers DJ Public Skate Charity Fundraiser at Porrazzo Ice Arena. Public skate attendees are encouraged to bring in used cell phones for the Cell Phones for Soldiers Program. Each guest who donates a cell phone will receive a free public skate pass for a future visit to the arena. Live rink-side DJ Damien will take requests and play today’s hottest hits. Constitution Wharf; 12:30 to 2:20 p.m.; $5 general admission, $4 rental skates;
www.fmcicesports.com.

Put on your drinkin’ shoes for Shakin’ It Up!, a six-hour gala cocktail event presented by the Greater Boston Beverage Society at the House of Blues. Admission includes fancy cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, comedy, live music from Prince tribute band Lovesexy and a “Left Bank vs. Right Bank Bartender Competition.” 15 Lansdowne St.; 5 p.m.; $40; www.houseofblues.com.

Monday, Nov. 14

Coolidge Corner Theatre presents “West Side Story” as part of its Big Screen Classics series. Follow the rift between two rival street gangs as Romeo and Juliet is updated to the tenements of New York City in this Oscar-winning musical landmark. Star-crossed lovers Maria (Natalie Wood) and Tony (Richard Beymer) find themselves caught in a turf war between the Jets, second-generation American teens, and the Sharks, Puerto Rican immigrants, which culminates in a final rumble. Don’t miss this special 50th anniversary screening of the classic that won 10 Academy Awards including Best Picture. The film features original choreography by Jerome Robbins, as adapted from the Broadway stage production. Oscar winners Rita Moreno and George Chakiris co-star. 290 Harvard Street; 7 p.m.; $9; www.coolidge.org.

Tuesday, Nov. 15

Brace yourself for The Harvard Museum of Natural History’s newest exhibit, “Spiders!” Let your skin crawl and learn about these amazingly versatile, venomous, air-breathing creatures, which live  on every continent except Antarctica. “Spiders!” is part of the larger “Arthropods: Creatures that Rule” exhibit, which features critters ranging in size from giant king crabs to microscopic mites – a score of creepy-crawlers who represent over 80 percent of all animal species and have had amazing evolutionary success. Don’t forget to check out the live tarantula. 26 Oxford St.; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; $9 museum admission; www.hmnh.harvard.edu.

Wednesday, Nov. 16

Foo Fighters are coming to TD Garden fresh off critical success of their album “Wasting Light,” which dropped in April and debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. Seven albums from their 90s beginning and this American alternative rock/post-grunge band has still got it. Alongside their new album, the Foos released a rock documentary, “Back and Forth,” chronicling the band’s career – from the dissolution of Nirvana after the death of front man Kurt Cobain to the formation of Foo Fighters as singer/guitarist Dave Grohl’s 1995 “one-man band” to the current status of the band. Opening the show are Joy Formidable and Social Distortion. 100 Legends Way; 7 p.m.; $32 to $57; www.ticketmaster.com

Have an event coming up? E-mail the details to [email protected].

Events may be canceled or rescheduled. Call ahead to confirm.