Calendar: Nov. 17-23

By Anne Steele, News Staff

Entry of the Week: International Art Show

The 15th annual Boston International Fine Art Show at Boston Center for the Arts Cyclorama this weekend will feature work from 40 galleries based in the United States and Europe. Come view paintings, works on paper, sculpture, photography, fine prints and mixed media at New England’s premier show and sale of contemporary and traditional fine art. Warm up at the bistro café and ponder works from London, Paris, Madrid and more. This year’s special programs include two prestigious art panels. “Art Collecting: A Passion, An Investment, or Both?” at 6:30 p.m. Friday will examine whether art is a luxury brand, why some markets are exploding and whether passion or portfolio should take the lead when buying art. Panel experts include Christopher D. Perry, senior vice president and senior fiduciary officer, Northern Trust (Boston); Lou Salerno, Questroyal Gallery (New York); and Julie Sherlock, assistant vice president, ACE Private Risk Services (New York). “Shaping The Present: Realist Art Then And Now,” at 3 p.m. Saturday will discuss the growth of realist art in schools nationwide and how top contemporary realist artists  are inspired or informed by their historical counterparts. Panelists include artists Stapelton Kearns and Dana Levin; Julie Bangert of Tree’s Place Gallery; and Elizabeth Hunter, executive director of Cape Cod Museum of Art. Complimentary catalog, lecture program, coat check and re-admission are included. 539 Tremont St.; 1 to 9 p.m.  Friday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday; $15, tickets available at the door or online; fineartboston.com.

Thursday, Nov. 17

Check out Lovers, Oregon’s all-female electro-pop trio, at O’Brien’s for seriously stripped-down electronica filled in with melancholic three-part harmonies. Celebrated for their enchanting and haunting sound, the band is touring with music from “Dark Light,” which dropped in October 2010. Get ready to be entranced by their infectious, synth-heavy anthems followed by gigs from GRYGIEL, Des Ark, and the Shondes. 3 Harvard Ave.; 8 p.m.; $8; www.obrienspubboston.com; a 21+ event.

Friday, Nov. 18

Get your Turkey Day spirits on at Beer Summit Harvest Fest at Park Plaza Castle. This craft beer tasting will feature more than 50 brewers and 200 beers to sample. A growing Boston event since 2009, many of the best local, regional, national and international brewers in the world will be represented. Brewers bringing both their known and less common Autumn brands include Clown Shoes, Guinness, Kronenbourg, Long Trail, Narragansett, Shipyard and Wurzburger. Fancy beer in a castle? Enough said. 130 Columbus Ave.; 5:30 to 9 p.m.; $42.50; www.beersummit.com.

Saturday, Nov. 19

The Airborne Toxic Event hits the Orpheum Theatre this weekend, touring on their latest album, “All At Once,” which dropped in April. An American indie rock band from Los Angeles, the group is named after a section of the book “White Noise,” by Don DeLillo, and is known for its blend of rock music and orchestral arrangements. 1 Hamilton Place; 7:30 p.m.; $40 to $84; www.orpheum-theater.com.

Sunday, Nov. 20

Stand-up comedian and actor Craig Robinson, best known for his role as Darryl on NBC’s “The Office,” is bringing his understated, laid-back style to the Wilbur Theatre this weekend. In 2010, Robinson was named the successor to comics like Jay Mohr, Anthony Clarke and Bill Bellamy when he hosted “Last Comic Standing.” In addition to his television work, Robinson had hilarious roles in a number of films, including “Knocked Up” and “Pineapple Express.” 246 Tremont St.; 7:30 p.m.; $22.50 to $29; www.thewilbur.com.

Monday, Nov. 21

Jay-Z and Kanye West’s “Watch the Throne” North American tour, which kicked off in October, is coming to Boston. The concert has no opening act of its own, and is in support of the album by the same name, released in August. The set list includes tracks “Otis,” “Lift Off” and concert opener “H•A•M” as well as West singles like “Gold Digger,” “Stronger,” “Heartless,” and “All of the Lights” and Jay-Z singles like “Izzo (H.O.V.A.),” “99 Problems” and “Empire State of Mind” for good measure. TD Garden; 100 Legends Way; 7:30 p.m.; $57 to $247.50; www.tdgarden.com.

Tuesday, Nov. 22

Actor|Observer, a post-hardcore band from the woods of New Hampshire is coming to Northeastern. Check out what these four now Boston-based guys have to offer from their EP “The Carbon Date,” which was released in August. afterHOURS; 6 p.m.; free; actorobserver.storenvy.com.

Wednesday, Nov. 23

The Boston Public Library West End presents Alfred Hitchcock’s 1959 film “North By Northwest” as part of its ongoing Alfred Hitchcock Film Festival. The classic follows hapless and unlucky New York advertising executive (Cary Grant) after foreign spies  mistake him for a government agent. He must find a way to survive as they pursue him across the country. 151 Cambridge St.; 3 p.m., free; www.bpl.org.

Have an event coming up? E-mail the details to [email protected].

Events may be canceled or rescheduled. Call ahead to confirm.