Column: What Andy Samberg says about GroupThink

The Lonely Island couldn’t have been more spot-on in mocking the typical “bro” persona in its “We Like Sports and We Don’t Care Who Knows” YouTube video: whiskey, football and a d-bag attitude to compensate for some serious insecurities.
The reason the video is so comical, besides the corny rap and bad haircuts, is because it’s true. It represents a sadly accepted population that prioritizes, idealizes and downright drools over sports more than … well, anything.
And “anything” apparently includes the well-being of the eight young boys allegedly molested in Pennsylvania. In the midst of the tragedy at Penn State, a school where football seems to dominate minds and reign superior to academics as well as integrity, students rioted in the streets over the loss of their so-called hero, Joe Paterno.
“If you call him a legend, treat him like a legend” one student shouted into Dan Harris of ABC’s microphone in a news report last Thursday. The student, unnamed in the report, blamed the media for paying no attention to the boys and instead, blaming the coaches and administration for the alleged events.
When I first saw the clip, I actually had to go back and re-watch it, just to make sure I understood correctly. Was this person really enthralled with something as shallow as football seriously suggesting we take a better look at the intentions of the young boys in this case, and leave the sick-minded adults out of it?
I’d like to think this kid is just a poor representation of the student body – but in fact, it seems like he’s anything but that. In the background of the report, hundreds upon hundreds students held signs stating, “Please don’t go, Joe,” and “Joe Is Our Best Interest.” It’s clear what takes precedence there.
But the goal here isn’t to point out the stupidity of the student body at Penn State (they certainly don’t need any help with that). My intention is to shed light on the type of ignorance and cult-like mentality sports can breed.
Take this year’s Stanley Cup. While we paraded through the streets, high-fiving one another and drunkenly jumping into the reflecting pool all in good spirit, the streets of Vancouver overflowed with angry mobs, Molotov cocktails and upside-down cars. Dozens of people got hurt just because a bunch of sweaty hockey players didn’t get to hold some over-sized silver cup.
Living in Boston, I’ve come to accept that sports, despite my humble opinion, are seemingly important. I understand the sense of community, pride and comraderie that all go hand in hand with sports, yet my personal relationship with sports is somewhat nonexistent – apparently cheer leading doesn’t count. Sports were never a big part of my high school career, therefore not high on my list when looking at colleges. Not having a football team is an ongoing theme in my life.
But in my four years here, I’ve grown to love the Celtics (oh, wait) and I have actually been to a Red Sox game. I even own a hat.
While I know there is some criticism of NU for lacking school spirit and the feeling of unity that somewhere like Penn State has plenty of, I’d rather be one of 15 people at a basketball game, than embody Andy Smaberg’s cigar-toking, jersey-donning jock character.

– Erica Thompson can be reached at [email protected].