Letter: Students must defend weekend E Line

On January 3, 2012, the MBTA released a series of service reduction proposals in an effort to cut their budget and prevent current deficits from increasing further. Over ten years ago, the T operated under a model of “open-ended reimbursement,” where the MBTA had state backing on all bonds and was reimbursed for any and all expenses that exceeded revenue. Essentially, under this model, the budget sheet was balanced every year allowing the T to run without sliding into crippling debt. For FY2001, a new method of “forward funding” was implemented stipulating that the T was to run “for profit” with the ultimate goal of operating with a surplus. If it did not, the Authority would have to consider fare hikes, eliminating jobs and cutting service. Fast forward a decade later and you will find the T crushed by a nearly $5 billion in debt, a staggering amount that is more money than the debt of individual states.Why should Northeastern students care? Under the two major “scenarios” currently proposed by the MBTA, the following services would be discontinued on weekends: the entire Green line E branch, Mattapan High-Speed Line, all 12 CR bus lines and all ferry routes. While all of these changes will negatively affect students, the elimination of the Green line E branch is the most troubling to Northeastern students. As a fourth year student at Northeastern, I have used the E-line countless times on weekends to go to movies, shows, the MFA, or just to visit friends throughout the greater Boston area. The T provides a safe, affordable and easily accessible mode of transportation to Northeastern students who would otherwise have to walk or take a cab home late at night. The elimination of the E-line on weekends would be dangerous at its worst and an inconvenience at best. Furthermore, the E-line provides access to areas near the Fenway, Longwood and to Mission Hill students that rely on the MBTA to travel to their homes around the Northeastern area in a safe and timely manner.

So what can you do to support your fellow students? The Student Government Association (SGA) will stand with the Northeastern student body by representing them at an open MBTA meeting on January 19th at Roxbury Community College from 6-8 p.m. In addition, we will collaborate with neighboring universities and other relevant organizations such as the Students Against T Cuts (www.studentsagainsttcuts.org) to ensure that your voice is heard. I urge you to stay up to date on current events by following both SGA and Students Against T Cuts on Facebook and Twitter. The recent MBTA budget woes were in no way caused by students; as such, it is imperative that we act boldly in a uniform voice to send a message to the MBTA that misguided governmental policy should not be rectified at the expense of students.

– Michael Sabo is president of the Student Government Association.