Letter: Colin Powell one of NU’s best speakers to date

I want to commend Northeastern for getting Former Secretary of State and General Colin L. Powell to give the commencement address to the class of 2012. When I walk across the stage in May and reflect back on my college experience, I will say with great pride that I had General Powell as the commencement speaker for my graduation. In addition to broadcasting the exciting news on every social network when I first heard, I excitedly called my entire family to relay the news. I am certain that everyone has not read his autobiography, knows what his background is, or even understands why his name is pronounced as it is, but this is one of best commencement speakers Northeastern has had in recent memory, the perfect speaker for the class of 2012.

He is a testament of the rewards that hard work, pertinacity and patience can bring, despite adversity. Of the role models I have, Powell is a man who exemplifies the character and integrity that I, for one, aspire to exude. As our class will soon enter the workforce and take on difficult challenges facing the United States both domestically and globally, his message will certainly be one that will resonate and motivate us to take on those challenges. There are few people that I could have imagined to be the perfect speaker for the conclusion of my experience at Northeastern and having Colin Powell — well, it’s certainly an honor and I can’t wait to hear his powerful words of wisdom. Just another reason being a Husky is so awesome.

– Juan Kimble is a senior business administration major.