Alumna offers a real perspective on reality television

By Meghan Davis, News Correspondent

Autumn deVitry, a Northeastern alumna and producer of shows like “The X Factor,” “The Biggest Loser” and “Masterchef,” paid her alma mater a visit Tuesday evening to share with students her experiences in the entertainment industry. She graduated in 2001 with degrees in journalism and Italian, and is currently juggling roles as director, producer, and co-writer of the upcoming feature film “Altered Reality.” The film offers a behind-the-scenes look at the making of reality television, inspired by deVitry’s experiences in the business.

The speaker event was sponsored by the Communication Studies Department and included a short film summarizing deVitry’s work in television, a talk by deVitry describing her struggles and successes in the entertainment industry and a brief question and answer session with students.

A co-op position helped give deVitry a start in TV production. Her internship for a producer in Montreal landed her an executive producer position the year after graduation.

“If you get a job that you’re scared to death of, take it. You can’t be stagnant,” deVitry said.

The alumna also described the struggles of working for a difficult boss, holding two jobs for several years and the irregularity of freelance work as a warning to students looking for a career in the entertainment industry.

Professor of communication studies Michelle Carr said the talk gave a reality check but also “something to really motivate production students.”

Topics during the question and answer session ranged from advice on how to network to deVitry’s excitement at producing her first film.

“It was very informative, with a lot of humor,” said Monet McKenzie, a freshman communication studies major.

During her talk, deVitry also encouraged students to build relationships with their professors. She noted it was an early experience with a Northeastern professor that inspired her to major in journalism and make film work a lifetime commitment. But she also added that “the reality of what you can’t teach is passion” and reminded students to find an area of study that excites them.

Passion for her career has spurred deVitry’s personal motivation, and she left students with a copy of Baz Luhrmann’s song “Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen),” which she has found inspiring throughout her career. She left students with the message that dedication and perseverance can lead to success in even the most difficult careers.

“I think ‘no’ is a horrible, horrible word,” deVitry said. “There’s always a way around it. Always.”