Student feminists challenge misconceptions

By Wanyi Jin, News Correspondent

While the word “feminist” may conjure up images of strictly Rosie the Riveter types, today it means something quite different. Northeastern’s Feminist Student Organization (FSO), a student-run group with both male and female members, promotes women’s empowerment and the gender equality that lies at feminism’s core.

Founded in the 1990s, the group is affiliated with the Women’s Studies department and has steadily gained influence on campus, according to Rachel Marquez, a junior political science and international affairs major. Marquez, an FSO e-board member, suggested the word “feminist” encompasses more than just the members of the FSO at Northeastern.

“I think most everyone’s a feminist,” she said. “When it comes down to it, we all want people to be treated fairly.”

Students who join the club attend weekly meetings filled with discussions about issues such as the representation of women in the media and the proliferation of gender-specific products. These conversations are the heart of the FSO, giving members the opportunity to express their thoughts openly.

“It’s a discussion-based club. Everyone’s opinion is valued and it’s a very non-judgmental environment,” Marquez said. “We want to educate our members and keep them aware of the issues facing women.”

The club hosts one large event each semester. Some past events include a visit from acclaimed slam poet and women’s rights activist Andrea Gibson and Take Back the Night, an annual domestic violence and sexual assault awareness program.

“Take Back the Night one of my favorite events we do,” Marquez said.  “It’s not just Northeastern students; people from Simmons and Emanuel and community members all get involved. Last year we had around 200 people come. Hopefully this year will be even better.”

Collaboration is a reoccurring theme in the FSO’s events. The FSO teamed up with NU Pride, the Linguistics Club and NU Students for Choice to bring Andrea Gibson to campus last fall. It has also been a cosponsor of the Day of Silence, which addresses the bullying of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender  students taking place at US schools. In the future, the FSO plans to cosponsor events with the Law Students for Reproductive Justice and a sorority, partnering feminism with its serious and fun sides.

“We’re definitely trying to branch out to other groups on campus,” Marquez said.

Part of that eagerness to reach out is an attempt to resolve some misconceptions about the nature of the club and its members. Marquez said that by getting more involved on campus, the FSO aims to share its members’ views and spark the dialogue that is so vital to the club.

“A big part of what we’re doing is proving the negative stereotypes about feminists wrong,” Marquez said. “You know, we’re not all bra-burning extremists. We’re just an equality organization.”

The FSO encourages other students to get involved by joining meetings and attending events. The club meets Wednesdays from 7 to 8 p.m., although the location of the meetings has not yet been determined for the Spring semester.  Interested students can join the club’s Facebook group, which boasts over 100 members, or find the club on OrgSync. The organization stresses the importance of making all Northeastern students feel welcome.

“We are all-encompassing,” Marquez said. “The core of our club is equality for everyone.”