Calendar: Jan. 19 – 25

By Emily Huizenga, News Staff

Entry of the Week: Gardner Museum Renovation Premiere

Anyone who even occasionally browses Boston.com or the Boston Globe likely knows all about the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum’s recent $144 million renovation, a 70,000-square-foot addition that has received widespread coverage. With the Globe as a media sponsor, pictures of the addition have riddled the Internet all week, teasing excited patrons with images of sloping glass walls, copper-sheathed cubes, lush greenhouses and an opulent performance center. The ribbon will be cut this Thursday at 9 a.m. with special free admission through Jan. 22. 280 The Fenway; Wed – Mon, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., Thursdays 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.; free this Thursday to Sunday; www.gardnermuseum.org.

Thursday, Jan. 19

Stop by the Boston University Art Gallery this Thursday for “100 Years,” an artistic archive of film, photography, video and audio art over the past century. The exhibition, organized by Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) PS1 in collaboration with Performa, is composed of largely unknown history for students, scholars and performance art enthusiasts. It will be open through March 25 and even includes pieces that highlight Boston’s own contributions to performance art. 855 Commonwealth Ave.; reception at 6 p.m.; free; www.bu.edu/art.

There are a few subjects almost every college student will always want to know more about. One of these is sex. This Thursday, Marshall Miller and Rachel Dart of the company “Sex Discussed Here!” will answer any and all questions about intercourse, with a special focus on the female orgasm. The sex education professionals will aim to reveal the truth about copulation and dispel rumors most college students may naively adhere to. Males, don’t be intimidated – this event is open to all genders. 20 West Village F; 7 – 9 p.m.; free; www.northeastern.edu/studentlife.

Friday, Jan. 20

Attention, Bud Light imbibers looking to transform into beer connoisseurs: The tenth annual Beer Summit Winter Jubilee will be hosted this Friday and Saturday at the Park Plaza Castle. The festival features more than 200 varieties of beer from 66 of the best local, regional, national and international brewers out there. From familiar varieties to obscure winter brews, there’s sure to be a beer for everyone. Responsible sampling is encouraged. 130 Columbus Ave.; Friday, 5:30 – 9 p.m. and Saturday 12:30 – 4 p.m.; $42.50, 21+; beersummit.com.

Saturday, Jan. 21

It’s not often one finds a show, or anything for that matter, that combines dance, intellect and humor. Choreographer Monica Bill Barnes has managed to merge all three in her imaginative and witty works, the newest of which, “Everything is Getting Better All the Time,” is coming to Boston this Saturday. In it, Barnes fuses together the glamour of rock, goodwill of Little League and whimsy of dance in one outrageously inventive performance. Watch as four dancers blend explosive movements with unmistakable grit to create characters the audience can both fall in love and laugh with. The Institute is also providing an opportunity to talk with dance critic Debra Cash 30 minutes before the show, as well as a free post-performance Q & A with the company. 100 Northern Ave.; Friday, 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, 8:30 p.m.; $40; www.icaboston.org.

Sunday, Jan. 22

Nothing says class like a free Chinese New Year Ballroom Dance party. Make this Sunday stylish and head to Dance Republic for a complimentary 30 minute lesson in boogie basics before partaking in a night of social dancing. The party will feature performances by Dance Republic staff and students as well as free lessons in dances like waltz, tango, foxtrot, salsa, merenuge and cha-cha. Polish your dancing shoes and learn some moves, then impress everyone at the next Mission Hill party. 20 Linden St.; 6 – 8 p.m.; free; www.thedancerepublic.com.

Monday, Jan. 23

On the eve of his 40th birthday, author and award-winning professor of psychology, Gary Marcus became his own personal guinea pig. In order to discover both how human beings become musical and how anyone of any age can learn something new, he set out to master the guitar. Many hours of Guitar Hero later, Marcus’s musical pursuits became his latest book, “Guitar Zero: The New Musician and the Science of Learning.” He’s coming to the Harvard Bookstore this Monday night to discuss both the origins of music and the mind’s amazing plasticity. 1256 Massachusetts Ave.; 7 p.m.; free; www.harvard.com.

Tuesday, Jan. 24

Calling all Italians, Peruvians, culinary enthusiasts and food-consumers, the Latino/a Student Cultural Center (LSCC) and Xhibition Kitchen are hosting “Cocinar con Gusto,” a free cooking demo this Tuesday. Jose Duarte, chef and owner of Taranta, an Italian-Peruvian restaurant in the North End, will instruct eager listeners in the art of preparing ceviche, a South American dish consisting of marinated raw fish or seafood. He’ll also display several other Latino recipes and cooking styles, give a brief history of the countries that influence his cooking, elaborate on some of the ingredients, and offer one lucky attendee the chance to win a gift certificate for Taranta. Stop by to sample some delicious exotic dishes and discover tantalizing ways to make new meals. Xhibition Kitchen, Stetson West; 12 – 1:30 p.m.; free; www.northeastern.edu/studentlife.

Wednesday, Jan. 25

Sometimes the city lights just aren’t enough and one needs to see some stars. Boston University’s Coit Observatory offers free observation nights to satisfy every aspiring astronomer’s needs. The Public Open Night at the observatory is a chance for people of all professions and majors to see the night sky through telescopes and binoculars, and possibly learn a thing or two about astronomy in the process. The airy evenings last approximately one hour and run every week throughout the year, though cancelations due to weather are possible. Brave the cold and make this Wednesday starry. 725 Commonwealth Ave.; 7:30 p.m.; free; www.bu.edu/astronomy.

Have an event coming up? E-mail the details to [email protected].

Events may be canceled or rescheduled. Call ahead to confirm.