Calendar: Jan. 26 – Feb. 1

By Emily Huizenga, News Staff

Featured Event: A special card for a special someone

Remember the days of filling out Valentine’s Day cards, making sure to choose the best one for a crush and spending extra time addressing it in the nicest handwriting? Bring back that elementary school innocence and head to Trident Booksellers and Cafe this Wednesday for an evening of hearts, cards and cheesy poems. Attendees will create magnificent Valentines using collage techniques and mailable wooden postcards, all while sipping elegant wine and nibbling tasty refreshments. It’ll be just like elementary school – only with a tad more booze. 338 Newbury St.; 7 p.m.; $20; tridentbookscafe.com.

Thursday, Jan. 26

In the documentary “Ayn Rand and the Prophecy of Atlas Shrugged,” director Chris Mortensen examines the source of the legendary author’s philosophies and attempts to answer the question: Is American indeed headed for the disastrous outcome she predicted? Arlington’s Regent Theater is the one place in Massachusetts screening the film, which will run for 85 minutes this Thursday night only. Although Rand’s epic philosophical manifesto “Atlas Shrugged” was published 55 years ago, her “objectivist” philosophy continues to inspire today’s libertarians, neoconservatives and anyone else who sees society devolving into the nightmare scenario Ayn Rand projected. 7 Medford St., Arlington; $8 advanced, $10 at the door; 7:30 p.m.; www.regenttheatre.com.

Friday, Jan. 27

The holidays may be over, but the season’s frigid temperatures are just beginning. Make the best of these chillier nights by grabbing some friends and attending “Winder Wonderland Lights-Out DJ Skate” at the Jim Roche Skating Rink. An evening of ice skating will be made all the more magical by a live ice-side DJ and glow-in-the-dark skating. The DJ will play all the latest hits and the rink boasts a cafe-style snack shop – it’s basically a nightclub on ice. 1275 VFW Pkwy., West Roxbury; 8 p.m. – 9:50 p.m.; $5 admission, $4 skate rental; www.fmcicesports.com.

Saturday, Jan. 28

For anyone whose vocal performances are usually limited to a shower, car or best friend’s garage, Sidebar Food and Spirits offers “Cappyoke,” an evening of passionate, public and shameless karaoke. Come belt out your best “Love Shack” and compete for titles like Best Performance, Best Duet and Most Outrageous Performance. What’s at stake? The official Sidebar Cappyoke Trophy. And to enhance or endure the performances, Sidebar offers $3 drafts, $7 pitchers and other drink specials. 14 Bromfield St.; 8 p.m. – 1:30 a.m.; no cover; www.sidebarboston.com.

Sunday, Jan. 29

A former nun in Mother Theresa’s order will be in Cambridge this Sunday, discussing the reasons she left the convent, became a professor of creative writing and got married. Harvard’s Humanist Community Project (HCP) will host Mary Johnson, author of the bestseller “An Unquenchable Thirst.” The book provides both an intimate, inside look at a closed society as well as a description of a woman still admired around the world – whom Johnson knew personally. In this thought-provoking session, Johnson will discuss the effects of surrendering one’s will to a religious figure and the many odd things humans do when faith is involved. 12 Eliot St., Cambridge; 1:30 p.m.; free; harvardhumanist.org.

Monday, Jan. 30

Make this Monday most excellent and head to Brookline for “Science on Screen: Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure.” The evening of science, cinema and all around bodacious-ness is happening at the Coolidge Corner Theatre, where Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics professor and director of the Center for Theoretical Phsyics Edward Farhi will unravel the oddities of time travel before the screening. Farhi has extensive experience studying the complexities of building a time machine, though not the phone-booth variety. Head out and be Wyld. 290 Harvard St.; 7 p.m.; $7; www.coolidge.com.

Tuesday, Jan. 31

Despite a canceled summer tour and recent confusion over its apparent break-up then make-up, San Diego rock band Augustana will be intact and performing this Tuesday at Paradise Rock Club with opener Graffiti 6. Although some members have parted ways, the remaining players are eager to continue touring and performing. Concert-goers will likely hear Augustana classics including the all-too aptly titled “Boston” and stirring “Sweet and Low,” more recent singles like “Steal Your Heart” and other never-before-heard tunes. 967 Commonwealth Ave.; 6 p.m.; tickets are $26.50 to $55; all ages; www.thedise.com.

Wednesday, Feb. 1

An internship, also known as the unpaid cousin of the co-op, is a marvelous way to gain professional experience without a professional time-commitment. Career Services is hosting an internship fair this Tuesday to give students the chance to network with and browse various internship and volunteer employers, most of which are offering positions over the spring and summer. Those looking to understand if a particular field or major is a right fit or simply desiring skills to put on a resume will surely find some sort of intern opportunity. Break out the professional pants and perfect a firm handshake. Curry Student Center, Indoor Quad; 1 – 4 p.m.; free; www.northeastern.edu/careerservices.

Have an event coming up? E-mail the details to [email protected].

Events may be canceled or rescheduled. Call ahead to confirm.