Letter: Apartment hunt with caution, information

The year has barely begun, and yet it’s already the start of apartment hunting season. It seems to me that more and more students are looking to go off campus. I have personally taken part in the apartment search process for two years and always dread it. Each year, the rush to secure an apartment approaches faster, and real estate agents know this fact well, as they work with landlords. I feel like real estate agents are not always looking out for my best interests. But through word of mouth and trusting my own instincts, I’ve learned to weed out which companies to trust, and those to avoid.

Fortunately, there’s help right here on campus. Off Campus Student Services, located at 226 Curry Student Center, is a great resource for all your concerns, including your apartment search, roommate selection, tenant rights and city services.

And don’t forget the annual Apartment Fair is just around the corner. Be there Feb. 8 from 4 to 7 p.m. in the Curry Student Center indoor quad.  Bring your friends and roommates to meet plenty of “off-campus approved” real estate agents, and chances to win some awesome prizes.

I work as a community ambassador for the Off Campus office, and as a fellow student who has been through this, I know it is easy to feel pressured or left behind. Most lease terms are for a full year, so don’t get lost in the shuffle or feel pressured to sign. Be confident and utilize your resources because you don’t want to be unhappy about your living situation, before it even begins.

Along with the rest of the community ambassadors, we can answer any questions about lease specifications, real estate agent tips and how to find roommates. Did you know about the new roommate search feature on our website?  Check it out at Northeastern.edu/offcampus/apartment.

-Kyle Kennedy is an Off Campus Student Services community ambassador and junior psychology major.