Men’s basketball wins by 7 over Hofstra

By Patrick McHugh, News Staff

Saturday afernoon’s men’s basketball contest between Hofstra University and Northeastern was a meeting of teams going in opposite directions. While the Huskies entered having won seven of their previous 10 games, the Pride were sliding with a 1-9 mark in January.

The trends continued as Northeastern downed Hofstra 58-51 at Matthews Arena thanks to balanced scoring from junior guard Jonathan Lee, freshman guard/forward Quincy Ford and freshman forward Reggie Spencer. Lee and Ford had 17 points each while Spencer added 13. Mike Moore led the Pride with 17.

With the win, the Huskies improved to 11-10 overall and 7-4 in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA). Hofstra is now 7-16 and 1-10 in league play.

Hofstra head coach Mo Cassara said his team’s shooting woes have cost them potential wins.

“We continue to hang around and be in games and have opportunities,” Cassara said. “I thought we got out to a good start again tonight, but you’re not going to win games in this league when you shoot 29 percent. Unfortunately we just can’t get the ball to go in the basket.”

In the early minutes, it appeared as though the Pride would fare better as the team hit four of its first six shots to grab a 10-5 lead. The freshman combination of Ford and Spencer kept Northeastern hanging around, scoring the team’s first 12 points and 19 of the team’s 30 points in the opening half.

Junior captain and guard Lee, Northeastern’s leading scorer this season, only had six points in the first half but said he was more than happy to set up his teammates.

“A lot of times people think that I’m being passive, but really I just go with the flow of the offense,” Lee said. “I know my teammates, I can get them open shots by driving in the lane and kicking out for open threes. We have great shooters.”

In the second half Lee began to pick up his scoring pace, adding 11 points on four of five shooting. He shot a season high 77.8 percent from the floor and was a perfect two for two from the free throw line.

“I think you saw the growth in Jon[athan Lee] in his point guard abilities,” Coen said. “He knows he has to set the tone early on. He also knows he will have the ball in his hands late in games, and he’s been there for us all year long. He knows as a point guard he has to establish the offense and get other people involved, and I thought he did a great job today of doing that.”

The Huskies took control of the contest by using a 10-2 run in the first four minutes of the second half to build a 40-29 advantage. Rebounds helped Northeastern earn extra shot opportunities, with the hosts out-rebounding Hofstra 37-31 for the game.

Turnovers by the Huskies allowed the visitors to stay in the game. After only four turnovers in the first half, 12 second half miscues led directly to 11 Pride points. Hofstra came as close as 56-50 with 42 seconds to go, but could get no closer.

The 13 points from Spencer was the second-highest scoring total for the freshman this season. He also led the team with eight rebounds.

The Huskies will host Drexel University Wednesday night at 7 p.m. at Matthews Arena. The Dragons defeated the Huskies 71-53 on Jan. 21.

“We’re entering February and March Madness is right around the corner,” Coen said. “Everybody in the league understands what time it is and you have to be ready to play. Guys know their own offenses and know their opponents’ offenses. Now it just comes down to competing.”