Column: Komen’s Planned Parenthood bias harmful

Anyone with the ability to process the color pink is certainly aware of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, a non-profit charity that aims to cure breast cancer. The ubiquitous pink ribbons and branding that the charity plastered over everything under the sun – buckets of fried chicken, NFL players and, although they have since denied sanctioning it, handguns – have become a symbol for breast cancer and the chief method of raising awareness.

We put up with the deluge of pink because it was for a good cause, right? Fighting breast cancer, helping women – who’s opposed to that?

Well, Komen for the Cure is opposed to that, apparently. Last week, Komen pulled funding for Planned Parenthood – approximately $700,000 this year, earmarked for breast cancer screenings for low-income women – because the agency was “under federal investigation.” Never mind that it was a partisan investigation instigated by Congressman Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) with the explicit goal to destroy Planned Parenthood, that Planned Parenthood was the only organization affected by the decision and that Komen recently hired Karen Handel. Handel ran for governor of Georgia on a platform including de-funding Planned Parenthood, to be their senior vice president for policy.

The backlash came hard and fast from pro-choice groups; within days, Planned Parenthood had raised more than $3 million to replace the cancelled Komen cash, including a $250,000 matching donation from New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Social media sites and pro-choice organizations were awash in suggestions for other breast cancer charities they could donate to, while pro-life groups organized donation drives to support Komen.

Komen decided to make this even worse by partially reversing the decision and allowing Planned Parenthood to apply for grants in future years. Pro-life groups turned on Komen immediately, accusing them of caving to pressure and withdrawing their support and donations en masse. Pro-choice groups, meanwhile, correctly noted that Komen was still not giving any funds to Planned Parenthood, and continued to not support Komen.

In essence, Komen woke up one morning, decided, “Hey, let’s destroy our brand reputation,” took out one of their breast cancer awareness raising pink handguns, and shot themselves in both the left and right feet.

In damage control, Handel resigned this week and acknowledged that she played a significant role in the process, directly contradicting Komen chief executive Nancy Brinker’s statement last week to MSNBC that “Karen [Handel] did not have anything to do with this decision.” But the damage is done; Komen has permanently stepped into politics and can no longer stay out of the debate.

It would not be the worst thing in the world if Komen fell by the wayside; other charities make far better use of funds. Only 15 percent of Komen’s 2011 funds went to breast cancer research, down from 29 percent in 2008. Meanwhile, 43 percent of 2011 funds went to “education.” Remember that pink ribbon stuff? That’s “education.”

Perhaps I’m wrong, but I think that any money on breast cancer “education” is a bit redundant at this point; you would be hard pressed to find a person in this country who isn’t aware of the dangers of breast cancer. If you really want to help end breast cancer, research for treatment and cures is essential.

The Breast Cancer Research Foundation spent 92 percent of its 2011 funding on breast cancer research, and will absolutely do more good than Komen in stopping breast cancer. You can donate to them directly and make a difference at bcrfcure.org.

If you’ve read my column before, you know I’m all in favor of Planned Parenthood and its dedication to women’s health. You can find out how to donate, volunteer or get services at the Greater Boston Planned Parenthood at pplm.org.

– Michael Denham can be reached at [email protected]