Column: Crazies, cut it out

I watched the Grammys on the big screen at Conor Larkin’s where I work. As country artist after country artist took the stage and sang about things Southern people care about, I essentially wanted to die. It seemed to last forever.

I really wanted the show to speed up so I could see Nicki Minaj. There’s just something about that badass female personality that, you know, inspires me and stuff. But really, although it pains me to admit, I actually enjoy her music. Those of you who have seen the video “Stupid Hoe” know what I mean. She’s the definition of a guilty pleasure. Naturally, I couldn’t wait to see her perform.

I ended up leaving work right before she went onstage, so I watched her performance on YouTube the next morning. Somehow Minaj managed to shock me all over again. Nothing in the world could have prepared me for what I saw.

If you haven’t seen it, it opens with Minaj in the midst of a mock Catholic confessional, all the while belting out a really strange, really twisted rendition of West Side Story’s “I Feel Pretty.” I’m actually very curious about how a priest would react if a patron really did serenade him in the stall. Next comes a prerecorded video of a priest entering a white walled room and asking a squatting, convulsing, all around attractive Minaj what her name is, to which she responds, “ROMANNNN.” Though this intro only lasted about a minute, the images it impressed will endure far longer. Finally, levitating, writhing, and romping around various stained-glass-windows and white-robed celebrants, Minaj performed her new single, “Roman Holiday,” set to an onstage exorcism.

Why? Let’s be real, Nicki Minaj is a good rapper. My roommate and I love singing her part in “Bottoms Up” by Trey Songz (and let me just say – we’re damn good for a pair of white girls). She’s great in Drake’s Bed Rock” too – definitely a Grade A badass. And until now she’s been extreme, but bearable. But that performance crossed the line, and, as recent statements by the Catholic League confirm, offended many.

What I don’t understand is why mainstream media and the entertainment world make such a big deal about racism and homophobia, but when it comes to religion, for the most part seem to be alright with offending whoever they please. For the record, I’m not saying this as a religious person. I have no religion. “How I Met Your Mother” womanizer Barney Stinson is my God. But my mother is, some of my friends are, and I know they were probably upset by it. It was offensive.

There was nothing groundbreaking or intelligent about what she did. That’s the thing about celebrities – they all think they’re so brilliant. They’re not. They’re artistic people with a tremendous amount of influence over what the greater population thinks. And a lot of them need to take a serious leap off their high horses.

Take Lady Gaga. She told Vanity Fair she stopped sleeping around because “I have this weird thing that if I sleep with someone they’re going to take my creativity from me through my vagina.” I can pretty much guarantee one’s vagina is not an outward funnel for creativity. She’s offended a few religions herself, frolicking around as a latex-clad nun and swallowing rosary beads in her “Alejandro” video.

And another thing about Minaj: She evidently feels the need to slam every other female rapper out there. Excuse me, lady, you just hopped on the rap bandwagon, what – three years ago? Who are you to criticize Lil Mama when I’m sure she got your lip gloss poppin’ too?

Celebrities can only go so far with this whole alter ego thing before it gets annoying. For Lady Gaga to claim that her performance self is not an act, but she in fact is and dresses like that all the times, is annoying and makes it impossible for anyone to see her as a real person.

So, pop biddies everywhere, cut it out with the crazy personas and please, just act like normal people.

– Laura Finaldi can be reached at [email protected].