Letter: Chick-fil-A a bigoted organization

I read in the Huntington News that Vice President of Student Affairs Dr. Laura Wankel announced a planned renovation of the CSC, where Chick-fil-A will be one of the new vendors. I am appalled at Northeastern as a community for allowing such a bigoted organization to become a part of our campus community. From 2003 to 2009 Chick-Fil-A donated more than $3 million to anti-gay rights organizations according to the Huffington Post and Equality Matters.

In addition, Wankel has a history of working against the gay, lesbian, bi, transgendered community dating back to her time at Seton Hall. While the Seton Hall community may deem that to be appropriate, the Northeastern community does not and will not. While I am not calling for her resignation by any means, it is not appropriate for her to push her agenda on the university as a whole.

Since I graduated from Northeastern three years ago I have been an advocate for Northeastern. I have touted the success of the co-op program. I have encouraged students to apply. If Northeastern continues in its plan to build a Chick-fil-A, I’ll no longer be able to do so.

If Northeastern allows this to happen, I, and a significant portion of my peers, will no longer be willing to support the university. We will have to campaign against a university that allows an anti-equal rights organization to be housed within their campus.

– Katharine Toth, graduated in 2009 with a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering.