Leilet Omr showcases Middle Eastern culture

By Meghan Davis, News Correspondent

Photo Courtesy/Meghan Davis

The sights, sounds and smells of Arabic culture set the tone in the ballroom at the Curry Student Center Friday evening at 5 p.m. for “Leilet Omr,” an annual celebration of Middle Eastern culture.

The event was jointly sponsored by The International Student and Scholar Institute (ISSI) and Northeastern University’s Arab Student Association (ArabSA) as a part of the ongoing Carnevale celebrations, a several-month-long series of events to highlight the cultural diversity on campus. A varied crowd of students, alumni and parents filled the ballroom to near capacity.

The evening began with a selection of Arabic food, including falafel, meat dishes and pastries. Abbas Sherawala, a graduate student from India studying computer science, said he was most excited to try the traditional fare.

“Middle Eastern food is delicious,” he said. “The flavors, the meat – it’s really all very good.”

Professional musicians entertained guests while they dined. A keyboardist and singer performed popular Middle Eastern songs in different dialects of Arabic to encompass the wide-ranging culture of the 22 Arabic states. Dancers also showcased styles and costumes from different parts of the Arab world to highlight the diversity in traditional Middle Eastern culture.

Afaf Abdulbaki, a 2010 graduate with a degree in pharmacy, participated in ArabSA during her time at Northeastern. She returned to campus to attend the event, which she said accurately reflected her own Syrian heritage.

“I recognized all of the songs – I’ve been singing along the whole time,” she said. “Everything was really perfect.”

Students clapped their hands to the music and gathered at the stage before winding their way around the room in a traditional Arab line dance. Amy Woolridge, assistant director of ISSI, said the participation of students from Arab and non-Arab backgrounds embraced the ideas behind Carnevale.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for students to maybe learn a little about an area of the world that they’re not familiar with, and to meet people that maybe they haven’t come across,” she said. “It’s about introducing people to new things.”

Diala Nicolas, a sophomore pharmacy major, is on the executive board for ArabSA. She said the group puts on the annual celebration in order to demonstrate the rich traditions of the Middle East to a diverse group of students.

“We wanted to spread Arab culture and really get the community involved,” Nicolas said. “By participating in Carnevale we can reach out and get more participation from students who are not of the Arab culture.”

Rita Karam, of the Boston-based Mirza dance ensemble who performed at the event, summarized the atmosphere of the event in a speech.

“Our music and songs evoke emotion. Our dances are full of emotion,” she said. “And when you combine all of these ingredients, you have Leilet Omr.”