Column: Guide to spring break: Balance trash and class

It’s finally here.

After two months of life-draining papers, excruciatingly dull readings and an endless cycle of class, internship, homework, job, repeat – it’s finally here. Time for me to pack my bags, round up the troops and board a bus to New York City, where the Norwegian Jewel, the cruise ship on which I will spend my spring break, is docked.

For those of us in class this semester, spring break is almost here, and I know we couldn’t be more excited. For those of you on co-op, sorry I’m not sorry. Look at it this way: at least you get to eat free Boloco and enter for a chance to win Bruins tickets on Sunday (see the Co-op Spring Break Facebook event presented by Co-op Connections – and they’re not even paying me to say that).

While you’re all feasting on free salsa and guacamole, I’ll be in the middle of the ocean en route to Florida, and then to the Bahamas.

Of course, it’s not all fun and games, but I’m not here to scare you with reminders about what happened to Natalee Holloway. In preparation for my own trip, I did a bit of research on the dos and don’ts of spring break. I thought it would be fun to look at what the masses are saying is right and wrong and put in my own two cents, along with some of my own “expert” (or maybe otherwise) suggestions to ensure your week is filled with fun and laughter (and not STDs).

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: The recipe for a successful spring break.

Top things you’ll need (besides travel itinerary, passports, money, etc.):

A devoted crew of biddies. This one seems obvious because you wouldn’t go on spring break alone. But remember kids, you need to make sure the biddies you have chosen as vacation buddies are quality people who won’t ditch you at first sight of a tan hottie. Do you really want to end up in the middle of a tropical island alone because all of your friends are too busy slutting it up? Didn’t think so. No matter where you are, bros must come before hoes.

Sunscreen. Obviously. Burnt-to-a-crisp Irish Catholics, I’m looking at you, and cringing at that peel. I don’t care if you’re going to Bermuda or Montreal, there’s always the chance the sun will fry you like silly. Better safe than sorry.

Condoms. You’ve told your parents not to worry; you would never hook up with someone you just met. But come on – let’s be honest. I’m not saying you’re planning on sleeping with everything that moves, but you never know for sure what’s going to happen. You can at least rest better knowing it was wrapped.

Don’t:

Be stupid. “But I’m not stupid,” you say. “I know what I’m doing.” No, you don’t. You say that, but after a few drinks, there’s no saying where (or with whom) you’ll find yourself in the morning. Obviously we all want to have fun, but it’s important to remember you’re in a place where you don’t know a lot of people. There’s always the chance some of them are bad.

Worry about it. Recent breakup? It’s over. School is hard? Go cry about it to someone who cares. How many other chances do you get to let loose and have fun? None. That’s right. Then it’s settled. Save the whining for the nights in with your girls (or bars out with the guys). This is not the time.

Do:

Learn to function without sleep. Some of you think you are experts in this already (Those people are you, engineers) and while you may think this vacation will be a good chance to catch some Z’s, think again. According to Jenni, a blogger on collegecandy.com, one of the best and most commonly overlooked ways to gear up for a crazy vacation is to get hours of sleep in preparation. After all, your room will probably be used for other things. “Chances are if you’re not in the mood to get some, your roommate will be. There’s no hope for any 8-hour nights in any spring break destination,” she wrote. Truth. Stock up on those Red Bulls now.

Stay hydrated. I hadn’t thought of this one until I googled ‘spring break safety tips,’ but it’s totally legitimate. With all the salt-rimmed margaritas you’ll be imbibing this week, drinking water will be critical to feeling – and looking – your best.

Alright guys, have a good week. If you send me an email this weekend, I won’t see it until Monday, when I’m off the boat at the new Harry Potter theme park in Universal Studios. Those of you on co-op, don’t lose all hope – maybe you’ll get an elliptical at the gym this week.

– Laura Finaldi can be reached at [email protected].