Track prepares for outdoor season

By Madeline Sattler, News Correspondent

With record-breaking performances and gold medal winning races, the men’s and women’s track and field teams ended the indoor season in the history books.

“I think indoor went really well considering we kind of held back in indoor to get ready for outdoor,” said Sherman Hart, men’s and women’s head coach.

The women’s track team sent six to the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) championships March 3 and 4. The Huskies acquired a total of seven points, led by senior sprinter Saleena Abdur-Rashed who placed fourth in a field of 26 runners in the 60-meter hurdles.

Adbur-Rashed took gold at the New England Championships Feb. 24 in the same event, running her best 60-meter hurdles time of 6.58 seconds.

“She actually ran well all season long,” Hart said.

The Huskies were well-represented in the ECAC field events. Senior thrower Julia Westover placed seventh out of 41 in the 20-pound weight throw. Westover threw for 17.08 meters. Senior and fellow thrower Rachel Taback placed 17th in the same event with a 16.01 meter toss.

Another field event competitor, junior pole vaulter Jillena Decarteret, tied for tenth at the ECAC clearing 3.70 meters and finished second at the New England Championships.

“Jillena was one of the best pole vaulters last year,” Hart said. “She just missed making nationals by one place.”

At the New Englands, Westover and Taback placed third and 12th respectively in the 20-pound throw.

“I felt that they really competed well,” Hart said.

Jumpers senior Nia Howard and sophomore Georgia Pingue, leaped into 16th and 18th place finishes respectively.

In the long jump, Howard soared for 5.20 meters. Pingue jumped 11.40 meters in the triple jump. Both athletes were consistent throughout the indoor season, and had similar performances at New Englands. Howard became the 10th Husky to capture gold in the long jump, while Pingue took bronze in the triple jump.

On the men’s side, the season was also one of broken records.

Sophomore distance runners Eric Jenkins and Brian Doyle set school records in the mile and the 3000-meter run respectively. Senior sprinter Darius Velez set a Northeastern record in the 60-meter dash.

At the Boston University Valentine Invitational Feb. 10, Jenkins broke the four minute mark running the fastest indoor mile in Northeastern history. Jenkins placed fourth at the meet with a time of 3:59.18. The Portsmouth, N.H., native represented the Huskies alone at the Columbia University’s Last Chance Meet March 2 and 3 in an effort to qualify for the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships. Jenkins ran a sub-four minute mile, 3:59.71, but was 42 hundredths of a second slow of qualifying.

“He broke four minutes twice, that was definitely a highlight,” Hart said. “He will be someone to watch come the outdoor season.”

Doyle’s record was also set during the Valentine Invitational. He finished fifth overall in the 3000-meter run with a time of 8:09.78. Velez sprinted to a second place finish at the Battle of Beantown Feb. 3 at Harvard with a record-setting time of 6.88 seconds.

Six Huskies from the men’s track and field team team also advanced to the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) championships. Senior thrower Patrick Jablonski had the highest showing for Northeastern at the meet with an 11th place finish in the shot put with a toss of 16.41 meters. Sophomore Max Milder, placed 27th in the 35-pound weight throw. Freshman jumper Jason Matthews placed 13th in a field of 32 triple jumpers. Matthews jumped 14.43 meters.

“I think the team had a solid season,” sophomore sprinter Alex Shapiro said. “We had some big performances.”

Shapiro also competed at the IC4A championships. He ran the 400-meter dash in 48.93 seconds placing him 17th overall. Freshman sprinter Jared Lane competed in the 60-meter hurdles placing 19th with a time of 8.35 seconds and fellow freshman distance runner Stephen Sollowin raced to a 21st place finish in the 3000-meter run with a time of 8:27.43.

“Indoor put us in a good position to make some noise in outdoor,” Shapiro said.

The Huskies open up the outdoor season with the Shamrock Invitational in South Carolina this weekend.

“We’re going to open up at Myrtle Beach,” Hart said. “That should be a nice opening this weekend.”

The team will also travel to North Carolina, Florida and California for meets later on this season.

“Playtime is over. Now it’s for real,” Hart said. “We just need to get back to the top.”