Huskies end eight-game skid, top Harvard

News Photo/ Chris Mullin

By Elizabeth Thomas, News Correspondent

Home runs powered Northeastern (13-15 overall) over Harvard University (6-24 overall) 9-4, to snap its eight game losing yesterday afternoon at the Friedman Diamond.

Sophomore shortstop Oliver Hart hit a three-run homer and finished with four RBIs, and sophomore right fielder Aaron Barbosa had four hits, including his first home run of the season.

“We were down 1-0, we have been struggling to get runs on the board lately so it was great to get one run up there to tie the game,” Hart said.

Freshman pitcher Nick Berger made his second start of the season (2-1) pitching seven innings, allowing four runs on nine hits while striking out seven, without walking any batters. Harvard sophomore pitcher Baron Davis mph miles an hour in his second game of the season, going five innings allowing only one run on four hits.

The Crimson scored the first run of the game with a solo home run from freshman center fielder Mike Martin.

“[Berger] surprised us right from the beginning,” head coach Neil McPhee said. “Every time we use him he shows more confidence in himself. He seemed to get better and better as the game went on … he’s been this year over all very good.”

The Huskies tied the game in the bottom of the fourth thanks to freshman second baseman Jason Vosler’s two-out double to left center. Hart then drove Vosler home with a single down the right field line.

Berger remained effective into the fifth, getting Crimson freshman designated hitter Tanner Anderson to ground out to junior third baseman Peter Castoldi who turned a 5-4-3 double play ending the inning.

Sophomore center fielder Connor Lyons kept the Huskies in the game in the top of the sixth by throwing out senior center fielder Jeff Reynolds out at the plate, keeping the score tied 1-1.

In the bottom of the sixth the Huskies broke open the game. Senior co-captain left fielder Matt Miller and junior designated Jon Leroux were walked back-to-back. Freshman second baseman Jason Vosler proceeded to hit an RBI single down the right field line. Hart then hit his three-run home run to far left field to give the Huskies a 5-1 lead.

In the bottom of the seventh, Barbosa’s second career home run push the Husky lead to 6-1.

Entering in the eight, Crimson junior pitcher Dylan Maki was able to retire the first two hitters and only allowed a single to sophomore shortstop Jake McGuiggan, scoring sophomore left fielder Jack Colton to cut the lead 6-4.

“I came out today with the attitude I have to redeem myself and we have been losing eight games in a row got to stop somewhere, I went out with my best stuff and went right out there with the hitters and it just worked out,” Berger said.

Hart reached on an error in the bottom of the eighth, then a pinch-hit from Castoldi put runners on first and second. Senior co-captain and first baseman Tucker Roeder singled, bringing home Hart advancing Castoldi to third. Sophomore center fielder Connor Lyons singled to first scoring Castoldi, pushing the score to 9-4, where it stayed for the rest of game.

With a five-run lead, Hart moved from shortstop to relief pitcher for the final frame of the game. Hart didn’t allow a single base runner, and ended the game with a pop up to center field with Lyons making a diving catch.

The night before was the first round of the Beanpot tournament, when the Huskies pushed the losing streak to eight games after falling 4-1 to University of Massachusetts-Amherst (10-10) at LeLachuer Park in Lowell.

Vosler held together the Husky offense, going 2-4 and driving in the only run of the game. Senior co-captain catcher Tucker Roeder made his first career start at first base tonight due to the absence of injured freshman Rob Fonsesca, who is expected to be out four to six weeks.

Sophomore pitcher Matt Cook made his sixth start of the season, allowing four runs on three hits with four strikeouts.

“He certainly didn’t give up the first run, essentially he gave up a routine fly ball that was hit in the perfect spot in the field,” McPhee said Tuesday night. “He didn’t give up anything tonight, he pitched a very good game tonight.”

The Huskies were first to take the lead in the top of second inning after Leroux converted a lead off walk from the Minuteman freshman pitcher Conor LeBlanc. Volser next up ripped a double into the right field corner to bring in the run, 1-0.

UMass took the lead – after tying the game in the second inning – in the bottom of the fourth when sophomore third baseman Nik Campero slammed his first career home run of the season, bringing the score to 3-1.

Cook held off until the sixth, when the Minuteman redshirt freshman outfielder Adam Picard brought home another run to give UMass a 4-1 lead.

Castoldi led off the eighth innings with a single to left bringing up Lyons who grounded out into a 6-4-3 double play.

“We got a win final, we simple have to continue the good parts of this game,” McPhee said after Wednesday’s win.

Northeastern will welcome conference rivals George Mason University this weekend for a home series at Friedman Diamond Friday at 3 p.m.