Huskies grab series opener from Patriots

By Elizabeth Thomas, News Correspondent

Senior pitcher Andrew Leenhouts grabbed his fourth win of the season in the Huskies’ 6-3 defeat of the George Mason Patriots Friday afternoon at Friedman Diamond.

The Huskies took the lead early, scoring two runs in the bottom of the first inning, . Sophomore right fielder Aaron Barbosa led the Huskies at the plate, going 4-5 with one RBI and raising his team-leading average to .390.  Barbosa is ninth in Colonial Athletic Association batting standings.

Leenhouts (4-2) lasted six and two-thirds innings, allowing one earned run on five hits and striking out six. Sophomore pitcher Anthony Montefusco, also 4-2, started for the Patriots, allowing five runs on seven hits through six innings pitched.

Barbosa led the Huskies’ first inning with a double to right field. He later scored on junior catcher Jon Leroux’s sacrifice fly to left field. Freshman second baseman Jason Vosler doubled to bring in sophomore left fielder Matt Miller bringing the Huskies ahead 2-1.

In the top of the third, Miller saved the Huskies’ one(-)run lead when he robbed Patriot junior second baseman Chris Cook of a home run.

The Huskies led 5-1 in the seventh when the Patriots added an unearned run from senior short stop Brig Tison with an infield single, scoring sophomore third baseman Blaise Fernandez, who had advanced into scoring position on a dropped foul ball.

Vosler stretched Northeasern’s lead to four with an RBI single off to left center field scoring Miller from third.

Junior pitcher Dylan Maki replaced Leenhouts in the bottom of the sixth. He pitched two and one-third innings, allowing one run on three hits and picking up his first save of the season.

The teams will continue their three-game weekend series at Friedman Diamond at noon today. The series will conclude tomorrow, with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m. Northeastern will be running shuttle vans from Chicken Lou’s to Friedman Diamond both days, departing one hour before each game.