Best of NU: Best Campus Sports Moment

By Madeline Sattler, News Correspondent

News Staff Illustration/Adam Sandore

The history-making women’s hockey team had many hard-fought victories this season. One in particular was the 2-1 Beanpot championship win in overtime against the Boston University Terriers Feb. 7.

At 5:27 into the overtime period, junior forward Casey Pickett took a pass from freshman forward Kendall Coyne and redirected it into the net. The pair headed down the ice with a two-on-one opportunity. Coyne drew the defender to her side leaving Pickett with a wide-open shot.

“[The win] was unreal,” Pickett said after the game. “I honestly can’t even describe it.”

Coyne and Pickett were catalysts in the game, getting the scoring started for the Huskies early in the second period. Coyne sent a laser shot into the net off a pass from Pickett.

Freshman forward Lucie Povova gave the Huskies a 2-0 lead later in the period, but the Terriers snuck two past senior goalie Florence Schelling before the period concluded.

Boston University took its first lead of the game with a goal off the stick of freshman forward Kayla Tutino. The Huskies did not back down and sophomore defender Sonia St. Martin came up with a goal 33 seconds later.

“After the third we had a lot of positive energy in the locker room,” Pickett said.

As the game progressed into overtime, it was apparent that both teams were hungry for the win. But Coyne and Pickett took advantage of a defensive mishap and gave the Huskies their first Beanpot title in 14 years.

The Huskies went on to win the Women’s Hockey East Association regular season title and finished the season 22-7-4.