The best playlist for summer 2012

By Matt Juul, News Correspondent

With the temperature outside heating up, the time has come to trade in grueling nights cramming in Club Snell for relaxing afternoons by the coast.  While sunscreen and flip-flops are essential, no trip to the beach is complete without a summertime playlist.  Here are seven songs that will keep you dancing all summer long.

Summer Rock-Out Song: The Ataris – “The Boys of Summer”
Pop-punk band The Ataris made their way to the top of the Billboard charts in 2003 with their updated cover of Don Henley’s “The Boys of Summer.” An ode to the passing of youth, thinly veiled by the theme of summer love, this heartfelt and nostalgic tune is among quintessential summertime rock songs.

Hot Dance Hit: Rihanna – “Where Have You Been”
Rihanna’s latest single from her “Talk That Talk” album, this hot dance track co-produced by Calvin Harris could be taking over the airwaves this summer.  An electronic-infused beat with a sound similar to “We Found Love,” Rihanna has struck gold once again with this surefire club hit.

Summer Nights Anthem: Fun. – “Some Nights”
The New York-based indie rock band that burst out onto the scene earlier this year with their hit “We Are Young” will look to follow up that chart-topper with the bubbly “Some Nights.”  A thoughtful song about youthful indiscretions, this tune is set to become an anthem for those sultry summer nights.

Shameless Summer Sing-Along: Carly Rae Jepsen – “Call Me Maybe”
After successfully taking over the pop culture world thanks to shout-outs by members of Disney’s brat pack, Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” is a beast that just can’t be stopped. Whether it’s playing in the car or at the beach, critics need to wave their white flags now so we all can just sit back and shamelessly sing along.

Sizzling Summer Hip-Hop Track: Kanye West – “Way Too Cold”
Yeezy’s scorching and impromptu lyrics on his latest single “Way Too Cold,” previously known as “Theraflu,” excited fans when the song dropped last month.  The song calls out everyone from Wiz Khalifa to Kris Humphries, and this sizzling track could be this summer’s biggest hip-hop hit.

Breakout Hit: DJ Fresh and Dizzee Rascal – “The Power”
DJ Fresh teams up with UK-based rapper Dizzee Rascal in this fresh dance tune. Fresh’s drums and beats mix perfectly with Rascal’s eclectic electronic-infused sound, making the perfect summertime party song.  With the single set to be released in June, this track has a chance to be the breakout hit of the summer.

Throwback Beach Jam: LFO – “Summer Girls”
For kids of the ‘90s, nothing says summer quite like LFO’s “Summer Girls.”  Possibly the only sing-along that can outmatch “Call Me Maybe,” there’s just something about LFO’s dislike of Chinese food and love for girls in Abercrombie and Fitch that brings about middle school memories by the beach.