A fashion how-to for the Northeastern dialogues

By Meghan Davis, News Correspondent

With the spring semester finally finished and summer on its way, many students may be gearing up to participate in a Dialogue of Civilization. Since customs and fashions vary widely throughout the world, prospective travelers may be facing the tricky situation of deciding which clothing to pack for a month abroad.

Three Dialogues will venture to Egypt and the Middle East to explore political issues, media involvement in the Arab Spring, ancient culture and the Arabic language. As visitors to a country with a more conservative culture, women and men should expect to dress in more modest styles. For women, breezy cotton skirts that are knee-length or longer will keep wearers cool while remaining respectful to the local culture. Maxi-skirts are gaining popularity in the U.S. and can be found in a wide variety of styles; consider checking out Forever 21 or Marshalls for inexpensive options. Women should avoid low-cut tops and tank tops, but are free to wear T-shirts or looser tunic-style blouses that will help to keep cool in the Egyptian heat and humidity.

Men should stray away from shorts, which are acceptable but are not often worn by Egyptian men. Opt instead for pants in light colors and thinner material (jeans might be uncomfortable in the heat). Shirts in natural fibers would be most comfortable in the summer weather, like cotton T-shirts, polos or casual collared shirts. The custom is that both men and women cover their shoulders and legs when entering a mosque or temple in order to be respectful.

Six Dialogues are scheduled to visit Italy this summer, and groups will study in Florence, Mantova, Salerno and Rome. While Dialogue topics range from documentary filmmaking under Professor Michelle Carr to an examination of global healthcare under Professor Jane McCool, all groups will experience the Italian summer heat.

Italian style can be associated with names like Armani and Prada, which are both based out of Milan. Everyday Italian style is often considered dressier than American style, and many women sport sundresses during the warm summer months. Women studying in Italy might consider packing classic pieces such as nautical striped tops and white denim jeans, which can be mixed and matched for a put-together but comfortable look.

Sundresses and skirts in cotton and other breathable fabrics require little effort or packing space and provide ventilation in summer’s warm weather. Those who prefer pants or shorts could try styles in fabrics like linen, which is dressier but still light enough for summer wear. Sunglasses and cute walking shoes (think gladiator sandals or comfortable flats) are practical accessories that can embellish a more casual outfit.

Men visiting Italy might consider dressing up the usual T-shirt-and-shorts combo by packing a few collared shirts in a light color, which will dress up an outfit while remaining bearable on a hot day.

Tan pants are more fashion forward and more comfortable than jeans. Polarized sunglasses round out an outfit and offer protection from the strong Mediterranean sun.

Students studying in any country might consider bringing simpler styles in neutral colors, which can be mixed and matched to provide many outfits while taking up little suitcase space. Women might try purchasing local accessories to add an ethnic twist to a simple outfit; local markets and shops can offer one-of-a-kind accessories that double as travel souvenirs.

But more important than clothes, students should pack a camera and an adventurous spirit as they journey out into the global community.