Editorial: Rebecca Payne should always be remembered as a Husky

Four years after the death of Rebecca Payne, with two indicted men finally facing charges, the Northeastern community is reminded of the horrific event that shocked friends and strangers alike. But let us also be reminded of Rebecca Payne. Not just the young woman brutally and innocently murdered in her Mission Hill apartment, but the remarkable student, promising athlete and leader whose accomplishments at Northeastern shone as bright as her easy smile, which her family remembers her for.

Payne, who was an athletic training major at Northeastern, was on the Dean’s Council and President of the Athletic Training Club. Rebecca was also influential in hosting the Vision for the Future Athletic Training Leadership Conference at the university about a month before her death. A seasoned athlete and a scholar of the biomechanical and nutritional needs of athletes, Payne was passionate about the athletic health and training field. She was a student member of The National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA). She was also active in the Lutheran Episcopal Campus Ministry on campus.

NATA has since set up a scholarship fund in Payne’s name. To honor Becca and assist in its endowment of a scholarship for an athletic training student in the Northeast United States, donations can be sent to:

Becca Payne Scholarship Fund

National Athletics Training Association

2952 Stemmons Fwy

Dallas, TX 75247

Payne’s family and friends have also set up a memorial fund:

Rebecca Payne Memorial Fund

P.O. Box 1448

New Milford, CT 06776

The Episcopal Diocese of Connecticut’s Camp Washington began a “Becca Fund” and there is a memorial in her name at St. John’s Parish Memorial Garden in New Milford, Conn. There is also a stone dedicated to her in the peace garden in downtown Boston. There will be a march in her honor May 20, the four-year anniversary of her death. Payne’s father confirmed the family was in contact about possibly having a stop at Northeastern during the march.

Payne’s friends, family, local community and even a national organization have set up funds, events and memorials, but the university where she spent (and stood out for) four years has been curiously quiet. Shortly after her death the Office of Student Affairs arranged for transportation and assisted with travel accommodations for students who wanted to attend memorial services for Payne in Connecticut.

Northeastern lost a dedicated, driven and active student and leader. The university should honor Payne with a memorial or scholarship. A bench, tree, or even a plaque would be appropriate to remind the Northeastern community of Payne’s scholarly dedication and leadership in action. Perhaps something in the athletics department, where Payne was particularly active, would be even more fitting.

Payne deserves more than a stop at Northeastern during a road march and the students of the university deserve a permanent reminder of an outstanding student and leader.