Track and field’s Lucas shows off free running skills in YouTube video

Christopher Judd, News Correspondent

Some people have hobbies such as fishing or biking, but Dylan Lucas’s hobby might be one of the most thrilling at Northeastern: free running.

Lucas, a middler mechanical engineering major and pole-vaulter/decathlete for the track and field team, recently released the video “Northeastern Free Running,” which features Lucas showing off his free running skills, a sport that involves performing stunts on public structures and evading obstacles.

Lucas said he has always been naturally athletic and did not require any special training in order to be able to do the tricks in his video.

“I did gymnastics in middle school, which is why I could do a lot of those tricks,” he said. “I do track and field now to help me stay in shape. I was able to do most of those tricks on the first try.”

In the video, Lucas climbs the arch outside of Egan Research Center and proceeds to do a handstand while on top of it. Lucas then far-jumps on the rocks outside West Village A, climbs between two walls with only his arms and legs and holds himself up horizontally from a tree branch – all with no safety equipment, footholds or places to grip.

“We pretty much walked around campus and found places where we could do cool tricks,” said Anthony Gentles, Lucas’ teammate and a junior digital arts major who filmed, edited and uploaded the video. “Most of these took about two takes, just so we could get the different camera angles, and then I just had to edit it so the video flowed smoothly.”

Among Dylan’s other talents, he also placed 50th out of 1,500 contestants at the World Musical Chairs Championship in Amesbury on June 16.