July 4 Husky sports round-up

Christopher Judd, News Correspondent

Husky alumna to represent U.S. at rowing World Championships

Former Northeastern rower Sarah Giancola will represent the U.S. national team at the Under-23 World Championships from July 11-15 in Lithuania, the athletics department announced June 29.

Giancola’s lightweight 4x boat won the U-23 championship trials in West Windsor, N.J., in June with a time of 6:46.8. The winning time was 1.28 seconds ahead of the second-place boat.

Giancola graduated in May.

Former Northeastern volleyball captain to begin international career

Britney Brown, a former Northeastern volleyball captain, signed a two-year contract with Lindesberg Volley of Sweden and will begin an international career in August, the athletics department announced June 27.

Brown will be in China with other US college stars for developmental training and the China-USA Challenge Invitational until July 10 before joining Lindesberg to set off on her professional career next month.

Brown graduated from Northeastern in 2010 with a degree in marketing. She was the 2010 CAA Player of the Year and is ranked seventh in Northeastern history in kills (1,149), fifth in assists (2,289) and 10th in service aces (113).

Two Northeastern strength and conditioning coaches chosen for national team jobs

Strength and conditioning coaches Mike Zawilinski and Sarah Cahill have been chosen to coach U.S. national teams in international events, the athletics department announced June 21.

Zawilinski was named the head coach of Team USA for the North American Regional Powerlifting Championship from July 25-28 in Georgetown, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. Cahill will be an assistant strength and conditioning for the U.S. women’s hockey team.

Cahill works primarily with the Northeastern women’s hockey team, while Zawilinski, in addition to his normal duties as an assistant strength and conditioning coach, also coaches the Northeastern club powerlifting team.