Ay, caramba!

Boston Spanish and Latin restaurants serve up dishes that are loco-good.

By Derrick Warren, News Correspondent

With flavors inspired by the tastes of the Dominican Republic to El Salvador and beyond, several restaurants across Boston bring a little bit of Latin America to the table in distinctly different neighborhoods across the city. So whether it is a burrito or a Cuban sandwich you crave, you can get your fill here:

Alex Chimis, 385c Centre St., Jamaica Plain

This tiny shop, located on one of Jamaica Plain’s main streets, stays busy serving up a variety of chicken combo plates. The poultry is paired with two side dishes (anything from fried sweet potatoes to green boiled banana) and plates range from $5 to $10. The menu also features a Dominican-style fried Pork Chicharron – fried pork skin – served with rice and plantains. Ruth Saenz, who has worked there for six years, said, “Alex Chimis is known as the best Dominican food not only in Boston, but the entire [state of] Massachusetts.” Saenz and many other team members agree they wouldn’t have their rotisserie from any other place.

El Triunfo, 147 East Berkeley St., South End

You won’t find fried pork skins here. Located in the South End, this place offers something more traditional. Fresh tacos ($1.50-$2.75) and burritos ($5-$8 for a plate) are popular items on the menu. However, its most authentic dishes are the Mexican chicken enchiladas for $11 or the El Salvadorian tamale for $2. El Triunfo is open until 3 a.m. Wednesday to Sunday to satisfy late night cravings for Mexican or El Salvadorian food. They deliver to the Northeastern area with a minimum order of $10.

Toro, 1704 Washington St., South End

Not far from campus is Toro, a quaint restaurant that offers guests traditional Spanish food. Javier Garcia, a waiter at Toro, suggested Maiz Asado con Alioli y Queso Cotija (grilled corn with espelette pepper and aged cheese) for $8. Other favorites on the menu, Garcia said, are the asado de huesos (roasted bone marrow and oxtail marmalade) and Anna’s Empanadas (chicken and potato with aioli and spicy tomato sauce), both of which are $10. Toro also has tasty desert options like churros con chocolate for $7. They also serve brunch from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, where patrons interested in a Spanish take on the favorite American weekend meal can order Pork Hash ($12), a glass of Banana Milk ($6), and a Grilled Avocado on the side ($5).

Izzy’s Restaurant & Sub Shop, 169 Harvard St., Cambridge

Izzy’s is closed for its summer vacation through the 28th, but the food at this Puerto Rican ma and pa-style sandwich shop is definitely worth the wait. Nothing on the menu exceeds $10, and a daily rotation of specials draws attention to more uncommon items such as Fricaze de Cabrito (stewed goat) for $8.95 and Sopa de Mongono (tripe soup), which is $3.75 or $6.95 depending on the size of the bowl. The shop is great for a quick meal, especially if one happens to be in the MIT/Kendall area.

Miami Restaurant, 381 Centre St., Dorchester

For over 20 years, Miami Restaurant has been serving Cuban sandwiches. Its most popular sandwich, according to Fanny Jorge, a waitress at Miami Restaurant, is the $4.50 Cubano. A grilled ham and cheese traditionally served with pickles, mustard and pork, the Cubano can be paired with the San Cocho soup, made with vegetable roots and meat, for $8. If guests prefer something more traditional, the restaurant also serves pork chop dinners that include rice, beans and plantains for $8. Johanna Herrerra, the owner of Miami Restaurant has kept Boston’s Latin community coming back for more by keeping the atmosphere casual and welcoming to everyone who steps in the door, Herrerra said.