July 19 Husky sports round-up

Northeastern swimmers Becherer, Schegoleva set national records

Senior Kelley Becherer and sophomore Anna Schegoleva set national swimming records for the
United States and Cyprus respectively while racing in recent international competitions.

Becherer set the American Paralympic record for swimmers with a visual disability in the 50-
meter breaststroke at the Canada Cup on July 6 in Montreal. She finished with a time of 37.93
seconds, blowing away the previous record (39.03) that she had set at the Paralympic Trials in North Dakota from June 14-16.

Becherer will compete in the 50-meter freestyle, 100-meter freestyle and 200-meter individual medley at the Paralympic Games in London from Aug. 29 to Sept. 9. She won a gold medal and two bronze medals at the 2008 Paralympics in Beijing.

Schegoleva set a Cyprian national record in the 200-meter individual medley with a time of
2:21.45 at the Cyprus National Championship in Limassol, Cyprus, on June 23.

During her freshman season in 2011-12, head coach Roy Coates names Schegoleva team Rookie of the Year after she finished first in 12 races.

The Northeastern swimming team has not yet announced its 2012-13 schedule.

Four Husky rowers make splash at U23 World Championships

Northeastern was well-represented at the Under-23 World Rowing Championships in Trakai, Lithuania, last week as four Husky rowers – three men and one woman – competed in the competition.

Junior Ryan Rosts rowed for Canada, while Justin Jones, Matthew Schanck and Sarah Giancola represented the United States. Jones is entering his junior season, while Schanck and Giancola rowed their final year of NCAA eligibility in 2011-12.

Schanck raced for the United States in the men’s double sculls third-level finals and paced the Americans to a 0.14-second victory over second-place Brazil. The U.S. boat finished with a time of 7:09.46.

Giancola’s crew finished last in the four-boat lightweight women’s quadruple sculls A Final with a time of 7:44.59 behind first-place Germany, Italy and the Netherlands.

Jones and the American men’s coxless four boat finished fourth out of six in the A Final at
6:30.44, while Rosts helped the Canadians to a third-place finish in the B Final with a time of
6:34.42.

Seven Huskies invited to NHL development camps

Seven members of the Northeastern men’s hockey team were invited to National Hockey League development camps this summer.

Sophomores Josh Manson and Ludwig Karlsson were invited to the Anaheim Ducks camp last week. The Ducks selected Manson in the sixth round (160th overall) in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Karlsson was not drafted. Senior goaltender Chris Rawlings was one of four goalie prospects at Phoenix Coyotes camp from June 26-30, while senior forward and 2012-13 captain Vinny Saponari was invited to the Winnipeg Jets camp last week. The Jets selected Saponari in the fourth round (94th overall) in the 2008 draft.

Junior forwards and 2011-12 linemates Braden Pimm and Cody Ferriero reported to the San
Jose Sharks development camp last week, and the Toronto Maple Leafs invited sophomore defenseman Ben Oskroba to its camp from July 2 to July 5. Pimm and Oskroba were both undrafted, but the Sharks selected Ferriero in the fifth round (127th overall) of the 2010 draft.

Four former Northeastern stand-outs – Steve Quailer (Montreal Canadiens), Anthony Bitetto
(Nashville Predators), Brodie Reid (San Jose) and Jamie Oleksiak (Dallas Stars) – also reported to development camps this week. Quailer chose to forgo his final year of NCAA eligibility and signed a two-year contract with the Canadiens in June, while Bitetto signed a two-year entry-level contract as a sophomore following the 2011-12 season. Reid and Oleksiak each signed professional contracts in 2011 after their freshman season.