A summer workout you can do at the beach

by Matt Juul, News Correspondent

With the summer now in full swing, it’s the perfect time of year to change things up and try some exercises on the beach. Here are five fun, fat-burning workouts to try the next time you hit the surf and sand.

Running
Ditch the boring old treadmill routine and try a nice, relaxing run at the beach. Not only will it provide better scenery than the sidewalk, but running in the sand is also an efficient calorie-consuming workout that puts less stress on the legs, according to RunnersFeed.com.
Planking
This variation of the traditional plank is a great workout for your core, legs and upper body. Doing this exercise on the sand adds elements that make it even more effective, according to FitSugar.com.
To perform this exercise, start by lying face first on the ground. Next, while keeping your feet shoulder length apart, use your forearms to support your body weight. Then, keep your elbows in place while extending your forearms forward, parallel to each other.
Make sure your palms are facing down and your back is straight, maintaining its natural curve.  Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat.
Swimming
Not every beach exercise requires the sand. Try going for a cool dip in the ocean to burn plenty of calories.
While you may not have the swimming skills of Michael Phelps, just going for a freestyle swim can be a fantastic workout at the beach.
According to FitSugar.com, going for a light swim in the ocean for a half  hour can burn up to 255 calories for a 140-pound person. It’s a great full-body workout that will get your heart pumping.
Jump and Stick
Want to work on your hops next time you hit the beach? Try the jump and stick, an awesome sand workout according to Men’s Health magazine.
To perform this exercise, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, hands by your side as you prepare to jump. From there, jump straight up into the air. Land on only one leg with your knees bent.
Your shoulders should also be bent slightly forward and your butt and hips should be back. Try to keep your balance and steady yourself for two seconds. Return to the original position and jump again, alternating legs each time you land. Perform this exercise for four reps on each leg.  Rest and repeat for a second set.

Incline Push-Ups

Make your push-ups more intense by adding an incline to them at the beach.

Place your hands shoulder-width apart on a flat and elevated platform or rock formation with your feet in the sand. Keep your legs and your back straight and in line with one another.

Bend your arms at the elbow and lower your chest as close as you can toward the platform or rock formation without touching it. Straighten your arms and return to the starting position.

Repeat for 5-20 repetitions. Rest for a minute and repeat for another 3-4 sets.