Skiba named CAA defensive Player of the Week

By Madeline Sattler, News Staff

In volleyball, the libero plays a key defensive position, which requires being quick, agile and grabbing digs. Sophomore Natalia Skiba has filled this position since joining the team last season and has played a pivotal role in the Huskies’ successes.

“We’re quite pleased [with her play],” head coach Ken Nichols said. “She’s playing to expectations, let’s put it that way.”

In the opening two weeks this season, Skiba has twice been named Colonial Athletic Association’s (CAA) Defensive Player of the Week two weeks in a row.

She had 73 digs in the Beanpot Classic tournament on Aug. 24 and 25, including a career-best 30 digs against Sacred Heart University in the final game.

“It’s pretty cool, but it’s [non-conference],” Skiba said. “There are some things I have to work on.”

Following tournament finale, Skiba was named to the All-Tournament team. She also received Most Valuable Player honors.

“Having [Skiba] on the team is incredible,” co-captain and senior middle-hitter Nicole Bishop said. “To have someone that can consistently get a dig and consistently cover for you just gives you so much confidence as a hitter.”

In the second week of action, the Huskies headed to Santa Barbara, Calf., for the University of California-Santa Barbara Invitational to take on a selection of talented teams, including the 2011 NCAA champion University of California-Los Angeles. Skiba added 90 digs last weekend to bring her season total to 163, which leads the CAA by 41.

“[Skiba] is scrappy and all over the place all the time,” co-captain and junior outside hitter Janelle Tucker said. “She leads by example and it’s really nice to have her out there always talking to us.”

Skiba also added nine service aces to contribute offensively. Skiba was the only Husky named to the All-Tournament team.

Skiba entered her freshman season and was immediately given the job as the libero and defensive captain. In the first game of her Northeastern career, Skiba recorded 15 digs of the 513 that she had last year.

“It’s tough as a freshman to learn the playbook and understand the nuances of being able to motivate juniors and seniors and tell them where to go,” Nichols said. “Last year, she got good at it especially at the end trying to manage all these aspects especially as a defensive captain.”

Last season, Skiba twice received weekly conference honors. She was named Rookie of the Week on October 14 and Defensive Player of the Week November 14. Skiba’s list of honors also includes American Volleyball Coaches of America  East Region Freshman of the Year and the CAA Defensive Specialist of the Year.

Prior to joining the Northeastern squad, Skiba spent four years playing varsity volleyball for her high school in addition to playing for the Sports Performance Club team in Chicago.

Nichols first scouted Skiba as a junior in high school, while she was the libero for the Sports Performance Club U17 team. There were also three junior liberos playing for the club at the U18 level.

“The real question was, when they are all seniors next year and they go to tryout, where does Natalia Skiba fit in the scheme of Sports Performance?” Nichols said.

Nichols went to Chicago to watch Skiba’s senior year tryouts. He watched all of the liberos play, but noted that he thought Skiba was the best of the bunch.

“I thought she was a better all-around asset in terms of her ability to serve, command the court, quickness, anticipation and her ability to read,” he said. “All those variables and intangibles that I like to look for, especially in a libero.”

The competition was tough, but in the end Skiba was selected to the top-level Sports Profromance U18 team and was given playing time as the libero.

“It was very reassuring as a coach to get a call the next year saying, ‘Yeah, I’m going to be on the top team,’” Nichols said. “She said, ‘They are going to let me play libero.’”

The Huskies will need Skiba to continue her strong defensive play as they head to North Carolina this weekend for the Duke Classic.

“My main goal is to be louder and to not let any ball drop,” Skiba said.

Nichols said he likes what he has seen so far this season and knows she’ll only get better.

“As dedicated an athlete as [Skiba] is, she will improve and we’ll take it,” Nichols said.