Volleyball sweeps New England Classic at home

By Madeline Sattler, News Staff

(Zack Williamson/News Photo)

The Northeastern volleyball team improved its record to 11-3 on the season and remained undefeated at home (5-0) as they swept the New England Classic this weekend.

Northeastern defeated the Boston College Eagles 3-1 on Friday night and then came out Saturday to sweep both the Harvard Crimson and the University of Connecticut Huskies in three straight sets.

“The tournament was great,” said junior outside hitter Kelly Bacon. “We really played as a team, played together and put it all out there and worked together to win.”

Bacon had 12 kills in the game against the UConn to lead the Northeastern team offensively. Junior outside hitter Janelle Tucker added 11 kills including the game-winner in the final set.

“I think we played to our potential especially in this last game,” Tucker said. “We really came out strong and finished strong, so I’m really excited about this win and the whole tournament overall.”

Northeastern swept their homonym Huskies in dominating fashion, 25-18, 25-17, 25-14. UConn got on the board first, taking a 3-0 lead in the first set. Northeastern came back and eventually the two teams were tied at 11. After that, Northeastern never trailed again.

Northeastern scored first in the second and sophomore setter Jillian Briner had the game-winning kill. Briner had seven kills and 21 assists on the day.

The home-team Huskies opened up the final set with five straight points. Northeastern had 15 kills in the set.

“This is as good as I’ve seen a Northeastern team play,” head coach Ken Nichols said.

The sweep of UConn was Northeastern’s second of the tournament. They also swept the Harvard Crimson in three sets: 25-17, 25-21, 25-17. Tucker and senior middle hitter Nicole Bishop led the team with nine kills apiece. Harvard scored first in each set.

“I thought there were some true moments of brilliance,” Nichols said after the Harvard game. “Overall nice team effort, you know everybody’s contributing, everybody got a few swings and made a few passes.”

On Friday night, it took the Huskies four sets to overcome the Eagles, 25-18, 25-20, 20-25, 25-21. Bacon led the offensive effort with a career-high 21 kills and sophomore libero Natalia Skiba scooped up 25 digs.

The Huskies continue their eight-game home stand next Saturday as they open up conference play against Hofstra, 7 p.m.

“I’m just very proud,” Nichols said. “And I don’t use that word lightly.”